overheated! just bought the boat

Specialk1302

Cadet
I bought a 1999 Glastron with the Volvo 4.3L I/O engine and it was running like a champ for the past few weeks after I bought it. the belt started squealing the other day and then it shredded the belt. I went to the auto parts store and put a new belt on, but I guess I didn't solve the real problem. I launched the boat and started to drive from the ramp and the engine got hot quick so I killed it. I guess I need a new water pump or impeller? How do I know if I caused any permanent damage to the engine? Will the oil be milky like in a car when you crack a head?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: overheated! just bought the boat

I think you need to slow down and think for a minute instead of going off thinking you cracked a head and all.
How hot did it get?
Was the belt still turning? Did you test run it with muffs? Was something locked up/

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

Im not sure about Volvo but Id check the impellar in the water pump.

Id assume if it shredded the engine belt that the water pump on a volvo is engine mounted so Id take a look at it and the internal impellar. As Don said was the / is the water pump locked up? Mabe its not turning as smoothly as it should be and that could be due to the impellar being melted, causing the engine belt to shred.

rndn

Commander

If you really shut it off because you noticed it got hot, then likely no damage was done. In answer to your question, yes the oil will get milky if water get's into there either via cracked block or blown head gasket, etc.

Specialk1302

Cadet

It doesnt look like I have any permanent damage and the oil looks normal. The belts look good still, but they smelled when I was running the engine for those few minutes. I just checked the rubber impeller and it looks in good condition. What could it be that is seized up and causing the belt to burn?

Coors

Captain

Take the belt off, and hand spin the pump and alternator; if free, pull the drive hose off the t/stat, see if it shoots water(running on muffs.)
If good, then t/stat or blockages in engine/manifolds.

Coors

Captain

Time to buy a factory manual....

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they are so many things it can be when buying a new boat, First thing I would check is thermostat, then manifolds. work your way down to the impeller