overheat on evinrude 140

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice
Engine is a 1978 evinrude 140. So today i was out on the lake with the family, we were running around for about 20 min or so and the overheat alarm came on. i shut it down immediately and we sat around for a quite a while. after about 30 min we started it up and headed to the dock which was about 100 yrds from where we were sitting so had it running for less than a min back to the dock, but it was hot. Hoping i did not damage the engine. I did notice driving back to the dock there was no water coming out of the pee hole like usual. At the beginning of the season i installed a new impeller pump and have had it out at least a dozen times since, have never had a problem cooling until today. I did have an issue with what seemed like the carbs possibly flooding and i rebuilt them about 2 weeks ago. when i took the carbs apart everything suprisingly looked great like new inside, however i went ahead and put the rebuild parts inside. last weekend i thought it did perform better and the engine seemed to run smoother. however at the end of the day it seemed like there was surge temporarily so i took it to the dock and put it away until today. Dont think it has anything to do with the cooling issue but any idea where i should start to figure out what is going on?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: overheat on evinrude 140

If you have no water out of the tell-tale, I would drop the lower unit and check the pump, I have seen new impellers fail.

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice

i did that after i got home from the lake and everything looks perfect like it should could there be a blockage or something that is restricting waterflow?

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Did you check the impeller key? The rubber impeller may LOOK ok, but it may be just sitting there idle while the motor runs; thus, not pumping water.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Make sure the rubber part of the impeller is not spinning on the hub, lost it's bond to the hub.

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, when i took it apart after getting home i made sure the key was in place and correctly lined up i didnt check to see if the hub had come loose i will tear it down and check it out tommorow. Thanks for the replies.

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice

ok i took the lower unit back off to inspect and daviet was on the right track. it had not lost bond to the hub, however it appears that the impeller i just installed beginning of the season, hub was made out of plastic? i was not aware of that when i installed it. what happened was the key on the shaft wore away the plastic on the inside of the "hub" and got to the point where the shaft would turn without turning the impeller. you can see in the picture where it wore away the insides 2013-07-22_17-06-57_241.jpg i do happen to have another brand new impeller which has a metal or brass? inside hub,this is a comparison of the worn and good one 2013-07-22_17-07-21_849.jpg but now i am leaking gear oil after my episode on the lake this weekend. it appears to be coming from the oil seal around the driveshaft does anyone know what the part number for this part is i tried looking it up and not sure on which one it is, also it looks challenging to replace. my other concern is it also appears there may be a groove around the area the seal goes. the seal did not look to be in bad condition so i am wondering if it will leak with a new seal also? it is pictured here 2013-07-22_17-06-10_6.jpg2013-07-22_17-14-17_8.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You didn't post a model number, here is the first model I came to, is #7 the seals you are looking for? Not hard to replace if you remove the bearing housing #6.
:: iShopMarine.com ::

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Replacing the bearing housing seals is not a difficult job. They will cost less than $10 a piece. You will need 2 opposing seals. I just went through all this myself. You can also replace the entire bearing housing itself with the seals pre-installed.