Over heating circulation pump cavitation?

JC766

Cadet
Rebuilt 1999 454 MAG MPI ( serial M00345) that only had 35 hours on it but has sat for a long time damaged by water. Went to fire it up for first time and it over heats quick. Raw water pump is new and plenty of water going out exhuast. However water in the block seems to be stagnant. Technically the circulation pump only has 35 hours but it is over 10 years old. I believe it is cavitating and is not strong enough to push the water through the block and fight the flow out the exhaust. Because all four hose and the thermostat share the dame housing I believe the water pressure from the raw water pump is holding back the flow from the thermostat. I pulled the circulation pump and ran water through all the passages in the block and flow does not seem to be blocked. So I think it is the circulation pump.

1) Anyone agree?
2) im trying to figure out how to use a high volume pump but none of the one I can find has the nipple at the top. They all have two ports that go 45 degrees. Anyone else running a high volume pump?
3) I picked up an aftermarket exhaust and it appears the water flow holes were drilled slightly bigger. Do you think this is also affecting the flow from the block because the water can easily pass to the exhaust less restricted versus having to fight its way through the block.

Attachments

• photo224274.jpg
    photo224274.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224283.jpg
    photo224283.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'd sooner think the t-stat is stuck, or however ya plumbed the manifolds is wrong,....

I truly doubt it's the circulatin' water pump, 'n I know ya don't need any sorta hi-volume pump,....

JC766

Cadet
T Stat is brand new. We popped the cover and it was open. We then watched it slowly close as the water cooled. So it appears to be working fine. Manifold is replica of OEM. Same hose and hook up location. Water flows great out the back of the manifolds.

I may buy a cheap reman auto version of the pump just to see if it works better or is the source of the problem before I buy a new merc one. I only run in fresh water.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... How ole, 'n rusty is the t-stat housin',..?? is it the original,..??

Marine t-stat housin's ain't as simple as ya think,.... alot goin' on in it,...

JC766

Cadet
Housing was cleaned up pretty well with a wire brush. Passages seem clear. However, is there suppose to be two gaskets? A smaller circle one inside somewhere? I have the plastic container it sits in and the standard gasket that rests on top of the housing but cant confirm if there are two gaskets involved. Thank you for the reply

JC766

Cadet
Ok, looked at a parts diagram again and see the other ring that supposedly goes up inside. Im hoping I can match it an auto gasket so i can get it today. I guess it just rests on top of the thermostat. not sure of its purpose. I'll try Felpro 17630, 17665, 17624