OVA DVR to server to house

alldodge

Staff member
Not the same question as in previous threads, but the end result is getting to the same point. Will not be doing any retransmission for others, only self use so the FCC should not be an issue

Looking for knowledge to do it or figuring out what other forum would be best to post the question

Want to setup an Over The Air (OTA) DVR to record shows off a local antenna. Need to be able to communicate with the DVR via the net, and be able to stream or transfer the files to my home for watching later. The DVR will probably be a server with video capture cards and hard drives. The communication via the net is the issue as I see it now.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
See if you can use haupauge with WinTV extended or a slingbox (older models could support OTA directly I believe). If you use kodi or openelec media server, check the add-ons.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the response, but I understand what they can offer but not going that way.

I want to know how to setup a server at a location that will record OTA TV and can control and stream to another location.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's exactly what WinTV extended and Plex Pass do. You setup a DVR server, record your OTA broacast, and stream it from a different location over the net. Look like you want a different solution. Good luck!

alldodge

Staff member
That's exactly what WinTV extended and Plex Pass do. You setup a DVR server, record your OTA broacast, and stream it from a different location over the net. Look like you want a different solution. Good luck!

Sorry, my bad, I saw sling and that gave me the impression of paying for sling (Dish) and went on.

Have been reading Hauppauge, plex and openelec and starting to understand. My thought is to set it up in Louisville and be able to communicate from central KY. Get a PC with maybe a 2 to 4TB hard drive. At Hauppauge they have a Win quad Turner to connect to a PC. The software is free, but there is always a catch with free stuff, need to find out what it is.

If I use one of their HD recorders instead of the PC, I see issues with it because they show no OTA connection. These recorders also appear to need a game box (Xbox, PS4 and the like). I don't do games, nor watch sports, basically want to watch OTA TV and records some. Would like direct pass thru of OTA to stream.

Found the forum http://openelec.tv/forum and might be one to join to get some more input.

So if I was starting from scratch (Have Roku) how would it be setup?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
All of my computers have Hauppauge cards or USB receivers in them and when I am in large towns, I don't have any problem recording on air stuff, they work great and there has been no catch you with the free software.

alldodge

Staff member
All of my computers have Hauppauge cards or USB receivers in them and when I am in large towns, I don't have any problem recording on air stuff, they work great and there has been no catch you with the free software.

Cool

Can you stream live TV or does it have to be recorded? Thinking I may only need my Roku at the home, and need the server (or some kind) in Louisville

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Cool

Can you stream live TV or does it have to be recorded? Thinking I may only need my Roku at the home, and need the server (or some kind) in Louisville

Do you have one of the Roku models that has the USB output on it? If you do, you should be able to record anything the Roku is streaming.. I have a Roku with out USB, and I have a Fire TV and I run a HDMI cable from the Fire to my server and out of my server to my TV so I can record what the Fire is streaming.

alldodge

Staff member
Do you have one of the Roku models that has the USB output on it? If you do, you should be able to record anything the Roku is streaming.. I have a Roku with out USB, and I have a Fire TV and I run a HDMI cable from the Fire to my server and out of my server to my TV so I can record what the Fire is streaming.

Yes it has that, but don't plan to record with the Roku, I want to be able to record from the Louisville location and then played back at my home.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yes it has that, but don't plan to record with the Roku, I want to be able to record from the Louisville location and then played back at my home.

Okay, give me a few hours to read though my notes, I have thousands of bookmarks on doing what you want to do, I will just take a while to read through them, I did this at my Dad's house a few years ago, he lived in Washington and got good coverage of on air, so I set up a media server at his place and was able to stream them to me in Montana.

So give me some time and I should be able to help..

alldodge

Staff member
Okay, give me a few hours to read though my notes, I have thousands of bookmarks on doing what you want to do, I will just take a while to read through them, I did this at my Dad's house a few years ago, he lived in Washington and got good coverage of on air, so I set up a media server at his place and was able to stream them to me in Montana.

So give me some time and I should be able to help..

Sounds great, look forward to hearing

alldodge

Staff member
Talked to haupauge tech support and discussed what I need to set the system up. He says all I need is WinTV extend and the Quad TV board. Then just install it in a windows PC either 7, 8 or 10. Sounds cool and easy.

Sounds like all I need to do is decide on what PC to get.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would buy or build a mini Windows HTPC that can support the card. Use the HTPC as a player/DVR on site 1 and as a server for site 2. You'll find tons of resources on the net.

alldodge

Staff member
I would buy or build a mini Windows HTPC that can support the card. Use the HTPC as a player/DVR on site 1 and as a server for site 2. You'll find tons of resources on the net.

Oh man..... your going to make me look up HTPC, do more research and how to build one, right?
I use to build the older PC's but that was years ago. Sure could use some insight on your research on just how to do it

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
Barebone kits are available and very straightforward to build. If you can make a sandwich you can do it.

Since you plan on using WintV extended, have you considered the Hauppauge Broadway? 149$ + External HD. Definitely cheaper and easier than building a Windows HTPC.

See the installation guide and videos:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_broadway.html

alldodge

Staff member
I did look at this one, it appears it will work and setup mainly for the Mac world but also works for PC and Android. Has one tuner and only way to store the video is on a thumb drive. Comes with WinTV Extend installed.

It is the cheapest and probably easiest to setup, but need the multi tuner and storage side. Currently have two channel Dish and every time there is two to record and one to watch, we miss one. So right now I'm leaning toward the prebuilt of build myself from the links above.

Turns out all of this is plug-n-play, and even though I haven't built a PC in years, things have actually gotten easier then when I did it.

Thanks

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Intel NUC are really nice devices. Make sur you can add the tuner card. You can also consider a small form factor PC from Dell or Lenovo (like the ones often found in point of sales).

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Darn it, I got sidetracked the other day with Honey Do's, make sure that anything you purchase to record off Dish has line inputs as well as HDMI, Dish is a security enabled system that has high level copyright protection and will not allow you to record over HDMI to a Hard drive in your computer, what Dish receiver are you using? Because some have the correct outputs and some only have HDMI output. The cards I have been using the last couple of years are the Hauppauge Colossus, which work great, but I am sure they have upgraded and come out with better products these days. The Colossus is not a tuner card, it is a capture card, I also have tuner cards for many of my various computers.

Sorry about getting sidetracked!