Outdrive won't go on

mike456

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its me again. I'm try to get my Alpha 1 Gen II outdrive on and I can not get it to go the last inch. Everything is lined up, I know the splines are connected because they are 3 inches long and I only need the last one inch. I suspect I still have an aligment issue but I'm wondering if there is anything else I could check before starting that. I had an extensive post about alignment last weekend http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=016735 <br />When I slide the alignment bar in there is still a slight resistance (I can almost do it with one hand but not quite). It is definetly going all the way in. I need a slight tug to get it to come out. Is that enough to cause me the outdrive install problem? Any advice is greatly apprecaited. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive won't go on

Well, your alignment is still not right, but I would guess your problem is the orings on the shaft. Put some oil on them. Grease makes them harder to get started into the gimbal bearing.<br />You do have the drive and the shift lever in the forward position don't you??????

mike456

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the drive and shifter in forward. I will try the oil idea. If that does not work I'll go back to the alignment. As always thanks for you help Don

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

If you really greased the bejesus out of the splines, and got some on the end of the shaft it will not go on that last little bit. The spline grease packs in the coupler.