Outdrive won't go into reverse?

Alekel

Cadet
First off this is my first time posting so take it easy on me. I just replaced the lower shift cable And reinstalled the outdrive. I am trying to adjust the shift cables and I cannot get it to go into reverse. If I reach around the back of the outdrive and turn it manually I can get reverse to engage but not stick. It pops right back out soon as I let go. Any suggestions I'm out of adjustments?

Alekel

Cadet
Re: Outdrive won't go into reverse?

Oh I forgot to mention this is an alpha-1 drive with a 5.7 L 350

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the outdrive gear shift "foot' in the transom "shoe" (for lack of the proper terms)?

Alekel

Cadet

If you are referring to what I think you are I believe it is.

Alekel

Cadet

If I grab the shift shaft around the backside of the outdrive and just give it a little extra pressure it will go in to reverse but not by using the shift cables even by hand

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

When you reinstalled the outdrive, chances are that the roller on the underside of the upper shift shaft lever is not between the two arms of the shift slide. It is behind the aft arm, so when you shift to F it will push the roller and go in, but when you shift to R the slide will not pull the lever forward because the roller is not between the arms. Slide the outdrive back and reposition the roller between the shift slide arms and put it back together. Like in the photo.

Attachments

• 101_0366.JPG
    101_0366.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 18

Alekel

Cadet

Just pulled the outdrive again to double check its in the correct position any other suggestions? And thank you for the pic that was a huge help since I'm not great with the technical names haha!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Well there are only two other things that commonly go wrong with an Alpha I instillation, but they occur when the upper and lower are split. So it seems to be an adjustment problem.

NHGuy

Captain

So go back a step. Did you only remove the drive, change the cable and reinstall the drive? If so go through the adjustment process again, you will need to move the adjusting barrell further down the threads clockwise. This won't push the cable as hard into forward, but will pull it further into reverse. Are you getting Neutral OK?

Alekel

Cadet

UPDATE! Thanks for all the help so far! Put the outdrive back on and decided to run the boat on the hose. We do have reverse when the boat is running but it grinds pretty bad now going into both forwards and reverse. I guess my next questions are 1. This still sounds like an adjustment to me are they possibly still not going into gear far enough? 2. now my throttle won't engage until I have the lever half way down I think also an adjustment? 3. Is it normal that I couldn't get the gears to engage until I actually ran the boat?

NHGuy

Captain

No, it should get the gear before the throttle picks up. Do you have the adjustment instructions?
Also, where is your shift cable routed inside the boat? If it makes hard turns the resulting restriction can cause it to shift late and badly.
I found my cable was like that. I rerouted it below the back of the motor and looped it around the port side and to the shift plate in a big smooth arc. Shifts much smoother there.

Alekel

Cadet

Ok I went through and redid All the adjustments went through everything again and ran it on the hose. Again couldn't get it to lock into reverse spinning by hand but did get it when I ran it. Felt confident do I decided to take it out. Backed away from the dock at the ramp and had no neutral would go into both forward and reverse but had no neutral. Decided to putt up the river and not tie up the ramp and let some people clear out. Came back to the ramp as slow as possible with out neutral and went to throw it in reverse just to slow me at the last second to slow me down and cut the motor. As luck would have it I no longer could get reverse. Luckaly my friend and I were able to grab the dock and slow us in time. So long story short I can really only count on having forewards at this point. A couple times it was real hard to shift. Could this be caused by the remote cable in any way. The lower shift cabe I just replaced and is always smooth.