Outdrive swinging

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all I have a 2006 four winns 210 horizon with a Volvo penta 5.7 Gi-F. Finally got chance to clean her up and get ready to launch her for first of the season. When I put ears on and fired her up she shakes violently and looks like outdrive is going side to side fast. This is with no manipulation of steering wheel. It was winterized last year. Any ideas or thoughts of why it's doing that?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
sometime the volvos do that after extended layup

check the power steering fluid, add if necessary. then with the engine running turn the wheel full port/stbd multiple times to bleed the system

if the actuator continues to behave violently it may be time to replace it, is not a rare occurrence for volvos to need new actuators

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
sometime the volvos do that after extended layup

check the power steering fluid, add if necessary. then with the engine running turn the wheel full port/stbd multiple times to bleed the system

if the actuator continues to behave violently it may be time to replace it, is not a rare occurrence for volvos to need new actuators
Thanks I will give that a shot!

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had pulled my outdrive just to check alignment just noticed one of the u joints was broken. Looks like gonna have to fix that prior to trying to bleed power steering. Anyone got any good links on taking them apart or how to tell which my exact u joint is? I have SX outdrive but seems like there are 2 different ones that keep coming up in my search. Mine has clips on outside and not sure if anything on inside yet as can't get it apart.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I had pulled my outdrive just to check alignment just noticed one of the u joints was broken. Looks like gonna have to fix that prior to trying to bleed power steering. Anyone got any good links on taking them apart or how to tell which my exact u joint is? I have SX outdrive but seems like there are 2 different ones that keep coming up in my search. Mine has clips on outside and not sure if anything on inside yet as can't get it apart.
You are not going to like this but just buy a new driveshaft. I know its expensive but it will work first time. You will have to have a marine shop install it.

You probably already realize this but the drive was shaking because of the broken u-joint.

As far as how the u-joint got broken, do you ever run it fully tilted up?

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
@bruceb58 I dont think he needs a new. He probably had his drive up. Mine does this also sometimes. It usually happens when I first launch and fire up the engine. It only does it at a certain drive angle as soon as I trim down some more it goes away. First time it happened it shook the whole boat.

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Drive was up but not under load. I just started it to make sure boat actually started ..... glad I did before I took off trailer. I did try lowering it when it was shaking just because I had no clue what was going on and was trying any everything I could think of. It didn't change by lowering it either but prob cuz it has broken u joint. Did notice some oil in my bellows for u joint too. Not sure if that is big deal or not.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Drive was up but not under load....Did notice some oil in my bellows for u joint too.
never run the engine or even attempt to turn it over with the drive in the trailer position, as stated this is most likely the cause of the broken u-joint

oil in the bellows indicates the yoke seal at the input shaft is leaking and needs replaced. a pressure test can confirm this

as i mentioned before, volvo power steering actuators can behave like your initial description. after you repair the broken u joint there may still be an issue with the power steering

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
@bruceb58 I dont think he needs a new. He probably had his drive up. Mine does this also sometimes. It usually happens when I first launch and fire up the engine. It only does it at a certain drive angle as soon as I trim down some more it goes away. First time it happened it shook the whole boat.
He said his u-joint was broken.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Drive was up but not under load. I just started it to make sure boat actually started ..... glad I did before I took off trailer. I did try lowering it when it was shaking just because I had no clue what was going on and was trying any everything I could think of. It didn't change by lowering it either but prob cuz it has broken u joint. Did notice some oil in my bellows for u joint too. Not sure if that is big deal or not.
Never ever start your engine with the drive fully up. More than likely that is how you broke your u-joint. May also be why you now have gear oil in your bellows. You learned the hard way.