Outdrive showers/cooling??

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer
How do you guys feel about drive showers? - i.e. systems like this ( link ) that claim to significantly lower the temperature of the outdrive.<br /><br />Are they needed, do they work, or is this just another costly gimmick? Thanks.<br /><br />
showersatworkhalo.jpg
Summit-on-Alpha.jpg

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Outdrive showers/cooling??

I would look at how much of my drive was normaly immersed.Then I would look at my oil.Then if I thought the drive oil was getting hot ... ,maybe.<br /><br />Too cold oil is a bad thing too.<br /><br />DHP

stevens

Thanks, DHP.<br /><br />The drive is usually out of the water all the way down to the anti-ventilation plate. The drive oil level has sunk a bit over time and I have added about 6-8 ounces of oil to the reservoir over the course of about 80 running hours. Can't see any leaks anywhere. Haven't noticed that the oil has gotten excessively warm, but it may well have been for all I know.<br /><br />The Simrek folks claim to reduce the oil temp from about 265 to about 215 degrees. Would that be OK, and do you think it would make any difference? Thanks again.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A lot depends on how you run your boat. The only ones around here (Alaska) that have problems with burned smelling/looking oil in the drives are the ones that run 1.5 to 3 hour runs one way to the fishing holes every day during the summer. This keeps the drive out of the water MOST of the time and isn't the way most people run their boat. If you put a long trip a week and the rest are short trips and only put around 100 hrs a year on your boat then it shouldn't be needed. <br />Another consideration is the water temperature. If you are running in warm water (around 80°F) then doing shorter high speed runs may be a problem also. Just read the old gear lube. If you change it after 80 hours and it still looks fairly new and doesn't smell burned, then you probably don't need it. <br />That is unless you just like spending money on Gadgets, then go for it, makes for great talk around the marina with a cold one in your hand. ;) :D

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Typically those are used on high performance boats. When being run hard in warm water they do make a difference. Especially on over powered Alphas and Brovo 1's.

stevens

..unless you just like spending money on Gadgets, then go for it, makes for great talk around the marina with a cold one in your hand.
You nailed it.... :D <br /><br />I already have the Smart Tabs and the Skeggard sitting back there. They are also great conversation pieces.... ;)

stevens

I just learned that the so-called original drive showers offered on eBay from a retailer based in Fairfield, OH, probably are a knock-off.<br /><br />I ended up ordering one from Simrek directly. A bit more expensive but absolutely great service, and a very believable product.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Simrek drive shower on my Bravo 3 outdrive. Prior to installing it, the outdrive would tend to turn chalky white after a few weekends of use and a PITA to clean. Since installing the drive shower, the white chalky appearance is gone. <br /><br />Several years ago, I talked to Paul Kermis of Simrek about a drive shower for my Volvo SX outdrive. His response was "for what, Volvo's don't have a high temperature problem". I respect Simrek for their honesty as they could have sold me one.

stevens

OK - I received the Simrek Summit drive shower yesterday and it looks like a quality act.<br /><br />However, the instructions call for drilling two 1/2" holes in the anti-ventilation plate, which would translate to 12.7 mm. It's nearly impossible to find anything but metric sized tools over here, hence 13 mm would be the closest drill bit I could find, or perhaps a 12.5 mm.<br /><br />Do any of you know, are these tolerances critical?

boater4life

Petty Officer 2nd Class

burp is right!<br /><br />Mercruiser outdrives are notorious for heat problems starting with the hottest running Bravo III. That means the casing of the drive is so hot it is boiling off the water that is splashed onto it while you're cruising or plunged into cool water when your boat comes off plane. Your stern drive is probably operating at 250 + degrees. Image how thin the oil must be and how soft the internal components are at that temp! Motor vehicles don't even operate that hot.<br /><br />Tests have shown that cooling with a drive shower can double the outdrive life and service life of the drive oil by lowering the operating temperature by a minimum of 30%. It prevents oil foaming, the main cause of oil breakdown.<br /><br />However, for those who don't need it, don't believe it!

DHPMARINE

Captain

Stevens,<br /><br />What goes in these holes?Either way (.3 mm over or .2mm under) I don't think you'll have a problem.<br /><br />DHP

stevens

Those holes are for the drive shower's two legs to stick down through the anti-ventilation plate. See the picture to the right in the first post above. The water pick-up ports are at the bottom of those legs, below the same plate.<br /><br />I'm worried that if I drill too large holes, the drive shower will not sit firmly enough.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Stevens,<br /><br />I understand your point about what size to drill.Use the smaller size hole,and if the shower doesn't fit,file the holes until it does.That way you shouldn't have a problem.I would then paint the holes with primer and top coat.Then instal with LifeCaulk or some other underwater silicone sealer.<br /><br />DHP

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you just email the manufacturer and ask. I would guess it doesn't make that much difference. It's only .011 inches (.25mm).<br />Their email address is: info@driveshowers.com

stevens

Yep, I did e-mail Simrek, and they just answered (on a Sunday even) as follows:<br /><br />
<br />To answer your questions:<br /><br /> Would you know if these tolerances are critical, or would a 13 mm hole be fine? <br /><br />The tolerances for the hole are not that close. (A .512 of an inch or 13 mm hole would be fine)<br /><br /> <br /> Are there any other precautions necessary, like painting the inside of the holes to avoid galvanic corrosion, or anything like that? <br /><br />Most people don’t bother with painting the hole, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt. I tell people to cover the top of the hole with a piece of tape, and spray upward at the bottom of the cav. plate. The tape helps with the overspray and nobody cares if the bottom of the cav. plate gets extra paint on it.<br /><br />Hope this answers your questions,<br /><br />Paul Kermis<br />Pres. Simrek Corp<br />
He seems like a very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly guy, and the product looks great.<br /><br />Thanks, guys.

peacekeeper6

does anyone have a picture of the whole shower? i was intrested in trying to make one and see if i could improve on the design.