Outdrive needs work...Advice....

Brancieri

Cadet
Re: Outdrive needs work...Advice....

Does anybody here have personal experience with the SE106? Had it on and running for at least 6 months to a year? Thanks for the input.

Maybe I'll go that way...

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

yes...

I have a merc upper and sei lower, but it's been on since last year. made a little noise (mild gear whine) at first while the gears wore in (they're not lapped at the factory), but it uieted down nicely in about 10 hours. I've been running it ever since and I do run it hard sometimes... ok... my "cruise mode" is usually in the 40-55 mph range... with bursts into the 70's.

It was well built, came in the time promised, and shifts well. the paint from them is not the best... soft compared to what I like, but I'm kinda funny about paint...

definately worth the $.

In fact... the relatively low cost of this as a complete replacement drive is one of the reasons I'm comfortable pushing over 400 horse through my alpha drive. If I blow it to pieces, I can buy a drop in for a reasonable price and have it on in days...

I did note that the impeller that came in the water pump on my lower.... wore out in like no time, might have just been bad luck...

oh and they were good to deal with... plus you can order one through here i think..

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

What,..???? :eek:

WHAT,..?????? :eek:

What the 'ell are you doing Here online,..??..??.?? :eek:

Man,...... I'd be Rippin',+ Tearin' to get into those boxes............;):D

rotflamo...

he just wants to bask in the glow of your distant electronic presence to get in the right frame of mind...

and with that... I'm off t make a token appearance at work (in the front door, walk through, out the back) and then headed for water...

spydermann11

Seaman Apprentice

rotflamo...

he just wants to bask in the glow of your distant electronic presence to get in the right frame of mind...

and with that... I'm off t make a token appearance at work (in the front door, walk through, out the back) and then headed for water...

Plus I was at work (screwing off)! Everything came as promised, can't say I have any complaints but am sure garage words will be flying this afternoon!!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

Looks like a pile of Parts to me.....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Didn't you post this question elsewhere on this site?

I would get the SE drive.

Your old drive has some busted parts on the cav-plate and will need rebuild, reseal and assembly, pressure check etc....... The final price is almost always higher than the estimate.

After it's together, if they made a mistake, and the drive "lunches" itself, you'll probably get them to fix it again but don't you want to use the boat instead of look at it at the shop?

If you put a new SE drive on it you'll get a new drive with a new warranty. There aren't many people here that have bad things to say about the SE drives. Sure, they put out a "bad" one once in a while.....that can happen on any of them. Getting new stuff on the back will provide a lot more peace of mind than a rebuild.

Just replace it and go boating.

Cheers,

Rick

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm having a hard time understanding this entire thread. This is the second time this question has been asked. I guess if you asks enough eventually you will get the answer he want.

The drive is toast. If you buy the gears and all the other stuff you need to repair it you will have come close to or surpassed the price of the "NEW" w/ warranty SEI drive. This is a no-brainer as far as I can see. The bellows and shift cable can all be done by yourself with the OEM manual that you can get right here on this forum for free and a few special tools, i.e. bellows expander tool, slide hammer, alignment bar, and a few more. It will take you a few hours and you will be proud of yourself once it is done. The new drive then just needs to be put together (comes in two pieces) and slide onto the transom assembly. Then you can enjoy the boat and stop looking at it in the shop or parked at the ranch.

Lastly, why did you buy a boat without having it surveyed or at least taken for a test drive? In my world 5k is a lot of money and I would definitely want to know what my money was being spent on.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What's with the chalk all over the drive? That drive unit ever run hot for some reason? Hey if ya wanna rebuild it got for it, but I wouldn't.

Brancieri

Cadet

I'm having a hard time understanding this entire thread. This is the second time this question has been asked. I guess if you asks enough eventually you will get the answer he want.

The drive is toast. If you buy the gears and all the other stuff you need to repair it you will have come close to or surpassed the price of the "NEW" w/ warranty SEI drive. This is a no-brainer as far as I can see. The bellows and shift cable can all be done by yourself with the OEM manual that you can get right here on this forum for free and a few special tools, i.e. bellows expander tool, slide hammer, alignment bar, and a few more. It will take you a few hours and you will be proud of yourself once it is done. The new drive then just needs to be put together (comes in two pieces) and slide onto the transom assembly. Then you can enjoy the boat and stop looking at it in the shop or parked at the ranch.

Lastly, why did you buy a boat without having it surveyed or at least taken for a test drive? In my world 5k is a lot of money and I would definitely want to know what my money was being spent on.

Took it for a test drive...drove it for the past three months that I had it. It was taking in water and I couldn't figure out from where, so I took it in for an outdrive service. I'm pretty good around an engine, used to be a mechanic, but don't know squat about outdrives. Actually, I should say I didn't know squat. I now know more than I imagined. I do think the seller know there was a problem, but that's neither here nor there now... I'm 80% on getting the new drive and doing most the work myself. Yes, I did post the questions again...because I got the pics online and figured I'd put a new one up rather than try to reignite this one. Thanks for all the input.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

buying/installing a new outdrive sounds like the smaller part of this job. The bellows, etc. are a much bigger job from what I read and have seen. I justhad a mechanic do my outdrive replacement - he was able to reuse the lower but bought a New SE upper. I'm not much of a mechanic and I needed the boat done fast, but the actual drive replacement looked like a job I could have tackled fairly easily - saving the labor cost and just getting a complete drive from SE.

I had no bellows, housing or coupler issues so it was not a big job - just big $$$.

Let us know how it goes.