Outdrive Growling after motor install

Laker67

Cadet
So last season we Shot a rod out of the side of the motor in our boat. Had the Motor replaced placed with a jasper remaned Volvo 5.7 GXi. Took the boat out quite a few times but towards the end of the season I notice a growlish type of sound coming from the drive when it is in full lock left or right, and also when the drive is trimmed up enough to go into shore. I know the bellows needs to be replaced, I don't think that it is leaking yet but you can tell its got some age on it. I don't think its the u-joints because i don't get any wobble in the wheel or outlandish noise that comes like clatter or anything But i could be wrong. I guess the big reason for writing all of this is: could the motor and drive be out of alignment and could that be causing the noise that I'm hearing OR is that not really a problem that you would see and could it just be the gimble bearing going out. The boat is an 01 Cobalt with a 5.7 GXi and DP-Sm, Im a real newb on this forum so be gentle. Thanks for the help in advance. :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive Growling after motor install

Did you remove the outdrive when you replaced the engine ?

Laker67

Cadet

No i don't believe they pulled the drive when they swapped the motor.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No i don't believe they pulled the drive when they swapped the motor.

Probably ought to check the coupler to, not pulling the drive is how couplers get screwed up, and with the drive on, there is no way to align the engine. No problem though, couplers are easy to replace once you get the engine out of the boat, and they only cost about 350 bucks.

Laker67

Cadet

Well that sounds exciting, Im gonna pull my drive this weekend i think. Then I can post up some pictures of whats goin on and maybe you guys can get me some input on what ya think. Another thing that seems weird to me is that when the boat is in neutral and idling in the water with doesn't make any noise at all. Full lock left, right, up, down it doesn't make the same noise. Figured I would throw that out there and see what that might be about. Also what about an alignmen tool when i go to put the drive back on. All i see when i look them up is for Mercruiser, and Volvo SX I don't know if any of those will work or not? Thanks again.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

All i see when i look them up is for Mercruiser, and Volvo SX I don't know if any of those will work or not? Thanks again.
They are the same size and will work with your drive/engine.