outdrive gasket set installation tip please

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice
This will be the first time for me putting the drive back on, so how does one keep the larger flat seal in place when installing? I will be using bellows adhesive for the water hose o-ring to keep that in place, but for the larger seal what does everyone use?

Also, the large 0 ring seal that goes with the ujoint bellows.....does that need adhesive also or is it just press it into the hole against the bellows ring retainer and you're good to go?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: outdrive gasket set installation tip please

Nothing on the gasket, bellows adhesive works great for the water passage oring and the large quad ring in the bellhousing.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use a few small dabs of bellows adhesive on all the gaskets to help hold them in place when installing the drive for the first couple of times.

You might also want to see if you can find the shift slide installation tool, 91-865232, that only costs a couple bucks and helps with the installation.

Mark

Bondo

Staff member

This will be the first time for me putting the drive back on, so how does one keep the larger flat seal in place when installing? I will be using bellows adhesive for the water hose o-ring to keep that in place, but for the larger seal what does everyone use?

Also, the large 0 ring seal that goes with the ujoint bellows.....does that need adhesive also or is it just press it into the hole against the bellows ring retainer and you're good to go?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... The flat gasket is hung on 6 studs,... it ain't goin' no where....

I use a gob of Grease on the o-rings with Good luck,...
Yer results may vary....

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class

just lube up the seals with vasoline and stick them on. its what we use in the AF

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The large square section rubber ring (goes inside the bell housing) should be glued in with bellows adhesive...