Outboard vs. In/Out

neuralracing

Cadet
Is owning a boat with a Dual In/Out setup allot more expensive than one with dual outboards? I am referring two Maint. and repairs. The issue I am finding is that boatd with an Outboard setup that have a decent size cabin for weekend stays are impossible to come by unless you want to invest a load of money. My budget for my first boat is about $30K and I have noticed that I can find early to mid 90's cruisers that meet my specs (room for 4, A/C, full bath, kitchen and generator). <br /><br />Everyone I know tells me to go with a dual engine setup because of the security it gives you if your in the ocean and an engine fails.

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Outboard vs. In/Out

you're seeing the reality of it. in my opinion, larger outboards and the twin/three outboard setups are getting a little ridiculous. for a 28-32' cruiser (which i'm assuming you're looking at), you're gonna find twin i/o setups on most boats. only the fishing boats will have the outboards.<br /><br />as for costs, i think the i/o's will be cheaper in the long run, including replacement costs.<br /><br />agree you can find a decent deal for around $30K for an early to mid 90's cruiser in the 28-32' range. friend just bought a 32 rinker fiesta v (1992) in great condition for $27K. he put about 4K into it to really make it superb. boat has twin 5.7s, sleeps 4, head w/ shower, and a/c.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya who wouldn't want the dual setup. It is much more reliable but it also sucks down the fuel. If you get BoatUS or Sea Tow you can get unlimited towing for like 100 bucks. It's worth the piece of mind whether you have 2 engines or not. As far as maintenance between outboards and sterndrives I couldn't say. I do know outboards are very easy to take care of and winterize.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Neutralracing, If you can find a cruiser with the motor(s)installed under the cockpit floor, you will have room in the cockpit equivalent to the outboard style boats. <br /><br />I/Os will be better on fuel than outboards, but much more to maintain (In my experience). if you do your own repairs, the difference in cost is small, if you pay for your maintenance and repairs, the OB is a cheaper way to go. <br /><br />I would recommend a single screw setup with a large kicker auxillary, if the boat will perform with a single engine. Properly maintained single engines are reliable enough if you stay within 20 miles of shore. Also, if you do break down, the kicker will get you moving toward home, and you can call the Towboat if desired. I also recomend a 4-cycle kicker. That way you can share the fuel supply of either an I/O or oil injected outboard.

neuralracing

Cadet

Does a dual I/O setup consume allot of gas in comparison to a single engine? The main use I will have for the boat will be within 20 miles from the port. So I guess a single engine would be OK... but having two is ideal. That is why I am asking... does having two engines equate to twice the Maint. costs? Does it improve/decrease gas mileage on long runs and short stop and go cruising?<br /><br />My main concern on I/O is the seals going on it and water getting into the engine compartment... how doo you guys recommend prevention for this?<br /><br />Also... how do I have piece of mind on CO2 and fumes?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Two engines equates to twice the maint cost, and nearly twice the weight of a single motor. Two engines will consume less (but not much less) than twice the fuel of one motor.<br /><br />It is true that I/Os have several seals that keep the water out of both the motor and the bilge, that outboards do not. Regular replacement of these is part of the cost of owning an I/O.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

This is an age old question that has been cussed and discussed by boaters since engineers designed alternatives to the strait inboard. Much depends on what your priorities are and what you want a boat to do for you. If high reliability and low fuel cost are your priorities get a diesel.<br /><br />With your stated desire for room for 4, A/C, full bath, kitchen and generator you will be pretty much limited to I/Os for power as you will need a ton of it. For most hulls you are looking at a single large block I/O or a couple of small blocks. There are outboards that would fit the bill but you are looking at a pair of V6s to get any kind of performance (or even get up on a plane) and then you will be way over your budget.<br /><br />As for me I'm a twin outboard fan as I have a 23' CC with V4 twins. During a "get out for a few hours, anchor, have lunch" type trip I will burn about 25 gallons over 4 hours. Some will say YIKES! to that but I will drop $50.00 at Outback for just the wife & I for dinner. I would much rather be out on the water and can bring some family along if we are in the mood.

neuralracing

Cadet

Personally with the raising costs in fuel I have been pushing for a Diesel, but there are not many available and when they are they are on Bertran's and other over 30' boats... given that this is my first boat I want to stick to something close to 25 feet.<br /><br />I have seen several Four Winns (96-00) with one I/O Merc that fit my dudget. I have also seen a few Chaparral's and Regal's. Is going with only one motor a mistake? How often do the mentioned seals need to be replaced to be considered "regular replacements".<br /><br />Many of the Boats I have seen do not have the generator (only shore power). How hard would it be to put a generator on one of those boats?

neuralracing

Cadet

How often do the seals for the Engine need to be replaced? I am definetly having the boat I decide on surveyed.<br /><br />I think I am inclined to one engine based on the Maint. costs and fuel costs. I will just purchase a Sea Tow membership and try to go out with other boats when possible. If a boat with a Diesel much more expensive? I think normally for it to be Diesel it almost always has two engines.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The down side with diesels is they can cost a big bunch more than gas. Not so on the twin diesels - I think there are as many if not more singles - not including the 40'+ fishermans.<br /><br />Yes you do need to be concerned about the seals - also the U jonts, risers, manifolds, Water pumps (some have two) not to mention all the other stuff that comes with what is a marinized automotive engine.<br /><br />Much of the reliability factor depends on the maintenance you give it. Also a salt water I/O needs more care. You did not say if you planned on running in fresh or salt.

QC

Supreme Mariner

OMG!! Is that twin hydrofoils? Why don't you just shoot me in the head twice and get it over with . . . aaaahhhh :confused: :p :D

neuralracing

Cadet

But if you look at the cabin... it does not have a full bath and kitchen. That is the problem with Outboard driven boats. Unless you get like a 32' walk around.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

2 sterndrives in a salt water environment, with a full season use will involve a lot of maintenance. I'd go OB or straight inboard, if you can find a Keel Drive Shamrock that's one of the best for what you want but still too pricey.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The market may be very different where you are, but here in Northern Europe, single-engine installations are the norm for boats smaller than 30-35 feet, and nobody seems more concerned with safety for that reason. When installing twin engines, the argument is always improved maneuverability and handling, not necessarily improved safety.<br /><br />Diesel engines with stern drives are very popular, as you get much more economical running and a far greater operating range per tank. The downside is the higher initial investment, more weight, and a higher noise level unless properly shielded.<br /><br />In terms of maintenance and reliability, all modern types of installations seem to be about equal, but the crucial factors seem to be fresh water cooling and properly fitted zinc anodes.<br /><br />Most boaters here would also usually perform a full service at least once a year, and in doing so, most boats would never experience engine or drive malfunctions - unless of course you hit something.<br /><br />Inboards or sterndrives can often give you much more useful space at the stern area. For example, compare these two boats, identical except for the type of motor.<br /><br /> http://www.ibizaboats.no/webedit/images/3488_original.jpg <br /><br /> http://www.ibizaboats.no/webedit_images/3475_original.jpg <br /><br />Inboard engines can often make the boat better balanced and give a smoother ride than the same boat with an outboard, due to placing the weight lower and a bit further forward.<br /><br />Best of luck in finding the right boat!