Outboard up or down when not in use?

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I lift my Honda 8HP motor out of the water when done, at least, unless I will be using it in the next few hours. I have a sailboat with a motor mount that swings up and down. I'm in a fresh water lake. It occurred to me that it may be better for the water pump impeller to be wet all the time - is there any advantage to leaving the leg in the water all the time?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Assume water pump needs to be working for water to wet impeller, anyway as soon engine is started, water will pass through impellerr housing in just some seconds.

Happy Boating

foodfisher

Captain
Leaving it down exposes the lower unit to plant and animal growth along with good conditions for corrosion

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
+1 to lift it out of the water -- marine growth, corrosion, and also possible slow water leaks into the gearcase, which may not be a problem otherwise.

McMark

Cadet
How about when the boat/trailer is sitting in the driveway? Motor up or down? What is better for the transom for storage when the motor is not removed? Up or down?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Up in the summer, down in the winter if there is any chance of freezing in the water. Out of the water put it down and it is self draining.