Outboard Mechanics / Boat Owners Help Needed

RiverBoy

Cadet
I am in the market to buy a new boat: Contender, Seavee, Regulator, Bluewater or CapeHorn and wanted to get real feedback on several engines that I am considering. i am looking for input from the mechanics that work on them or those of you that own these motors. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. The motors i am considering are all 200 to 250 hp, Mercury Optimax / Verado, Yamaha HPDI, Yamaha Four Stroke, Evinrude Etec. I am interested in those of you that can tell me:
1) How they Troll (any issues like carbon ,stalling etc)
2) Ease of starting
3)Overall, your impression of the motor
4) How many hours are on your motors and what type of issues you have had.
Thank you all very much for sharing your experiences with me so that i can make the best choice possible.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Outboard Mechanics / Boat Owners Help Needed

This is a can of worms, you've started

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I agree with laddies hahahahaha ....... the wife have a merc optimax, and she is a perfectionist (you must hear her scream when there is a outboard motor lying on the front porch hahahahahaha) ....... anyway, she hasn't complained about it at all, she and her friends cruise all day long, then ski and wakeboard, so the motor cruise (trolling speed) and then work hard for skiing etc. the motor have 24 hours on now ..... fuel wise, amazing light on fuel ... I heard that some people have starting / battery problems, but I don't find any problems with that ...... I got a 300hp HPDI a little while ago with about 50 hours on, but haven't installed it to my desired boat to check it out yet, althou I have started it a couple of times ... she sounds like a monster, alot of power under the hood ..... I have heard alot of good things of the e-tech but don't own one, try to stay away from the verado (no offence guys) I've seen more in work shop than out on the water, a great looking motor and nice that it is supercharged but to my opinion it is too much money for a verado when there so many other nicer motors out there .... just my 2c .......

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

in the Fla Keys, you see more big Yamma 4 strokes on the work boats. the dive cruises, etc. I still perfer 2 stroke.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

One simple question are welcome here, not 87 years of opinions. Best motor in my opinion. 1950's Johnson...

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

(1) Don't buy a Verado for trolling. Otherwise 4-strokes usually have the edge over 2-strokes for trolling. But the direct injected 2-strokes do much better than conventional 2-strokes did. I would also consider the Opti as a bad choice for trolling. It's also probably the loudest of the crew.

(2) They all start easy. No more fidgeting with throttle and choke. Turn the key and go.

(3) They all have their strengths. With only general conditions in mind, there's no clear frontrunner in my opinion.

(4) I'm afraid mine is an old conventional 2-stroke with a bazillion hours. I only get to rig, test, and maintain the new stuff. ;)

* I've had no experience with E-tecs. I'll have to yield the floor regarding them.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Happen to be in So. Louisiana and noticed that all the oil company shallow water work boats (not steel diesel crew boats that run the gulf) ran 2 stroke yammies. Why? Dunno.

That was a couple of years ago and they may be running 4 strokes today, then again they may not.

Mark

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

4-stroke Yammie. No oil to add. very quiet at idle, i have forgotten it is on sometimes.

RiverBoy

Cadet

Okay good it looks like we have some good feedback, Willy could you give me a little more background on why i should not consider a Verado if i am going to troll a lot. thanks.

I would love to hear from someone who owns an Etec and get your opinion as well.Just looking for your personal experience not Opinion related to the question in the original post .Thank you.

RiverBoy

Cadet

troypolla said:
4-stroke Yammie. No oil to add. very quiet at idle, i have forgotten it is on sometimes.

How often do you troll, and for how long. What motor do you have. Thanks

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I have an etec and am very happy with it. No probs to speak of. Almost all I ever do is troll with it, but mine is 50hp so I'm not sure it relates to your situation. You might want to check LU gear ratios and lowest available rpms on the motors you are considering to see if one is best for your trolling needs. Best of luck, and as long as you have a boat and motor, me thinks all the big problems are history! d:)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The Verado is supercharged. They're made for speed. I'm told that they carbon-up if idled excessively. That would be true with any motor, but apparently supercharged does it worse.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

For what it's worth, there is a post in the Merc forum that a Verado Twin owner indicated the 100 hour service was $500 per engine. Much of the same will be needed on any four stroke and involves valve adjustment and probably timing belt replacement. The E-tecs and Opti's don't have that issue. There is no "scheduled" maintenance for three years on the E-tec. Neither the E-tec or Opti would need oil and filter changes either. Adding oil now & then is not an issue worth discussing in my view.

tommays

Admiral

I can only say i have NEVER seen a positve post about the Verado :)

Tommays

RiverBoy

Cadet

tommays said:
I can only say i have NEVER seen a positve post about the Verado :)

Tommays

Thanks guys i know its a tough choice, i think i am torn between the 4 stroke Yamaha and the Opti or Etec. Please keep the experiences with these motos coming. Thanks again.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When in doubt, head to any dealer that will give you an on water ride. May not be the exact boat/motor combination but big E-tecs and Opti's will all be similar in performance, economy, noise, ease of starting, etc. Same for the four stroke line. You are spending a sizeable stack of cash -- an on water test is the very least you can do to ensure you are making an appropriate choice..

Skinnywater

Commander

Maybe the USCG just got a better deal on the Honda's they use.

I think the reputation of the servicing dealer is nearly as important than the brand motor you buy.

gss036

Commander

The builder started out with Yamaha's on the Coast Guard boats, but Yamaha would not give them more than 1 year warranty. So, they went to Honda w/3 year warranty. The coasties do all thier own maintence.
I have seen a few of thier boats w/big Mercs, but mostly Honda.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

RiverBoy said:
troypolla said:

How often do you troll, and for how long. What motor do you have. Thanks

I have an 05 Yammie 115 4-stroke. Depends on how far I have to go to get out of a "parking lot" sometimes its 10-15 minutes at a time. I have forgotten it was running and walked away and started fishing. I did notice when it was cold that it wasnt happy harder to start until warm.

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would go Honda...best motor out there...LOL!

Patrick