Outboard kill switch with lanyard?

fireshadow

Cadet
I was looking for a outboard kill switch with lanyard for a 1963 evinrude 18 hp. I fish eather alone or with my little one alot and started thinking that I want a kill switch just incase something happens to me I don't want the boat to keep going with out me. Any ideas.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard kill switch with lanyard?

Is that a remote engine, w/ a steering wheel? If so, you want to ground the point wires together. If a tiller model, look for one that can be mounted on the lower engine pan.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

On a steering wheel model there should be two black wires on the ign switch. Those are the point wires.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

IIRC that motor has a black rubber kill switch you press to short out and stop the motor. Maybe you can replace it with a lanyard switch (it you use the tiller).

fireshadow

Cadet

I use the tiller. I was thinking of replacing the push button with one with a lanyard. Any one know of a good switch like that out there.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A good switch is one that fits the same hole as the push button. It needs to be marine grade if you want it to stand up. You also need the one that connects (closes) when the lanyard is pulled. I would look at the online marine stores.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

also if you are replacing the existing cut-off button, you want the kind of kill switch that you can either yank the lanyard or press the button. You don't want to use the lanyard as a cut-off button routinely.

fireshadow

Cadet

Thats the type I am looking for. I think I found one on eBay but it's for go cart and outboards. Would really like to find one that is marine specific.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Have you checked the iboats store?