Outboard Freezing Issues

Sevcrist

Seaman Apprentice
If I have my boat on a lift in Kentucky and I want to use the boat occasionally in the winter and leave it on the lift, how do I protect the outboard from freezing and ruining the motor?<br /><br />I have searched for this topic on this forum and could not find a suitable answer. It looks as though on an outboard when you have the engine tilted vertically and it is out of the water all the water drains out so there shouldn't be a problem. But then I have read where other people say to leave it in the water.<br /><br />What's the story on this and is the lower unit the only part of the motor that I need to be concerned with?

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Outboard Freezing Issues

As long as the motor leg is out of the water and straight up and down, all of the water will drain out of the motor.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

And if the boat is left in the water, you still want the motor to be vertical.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Another thing you might want to do is check the lower unit oil frequently to make sure there's any water intrusion at all.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use my 90hp outboard all winter down to 7 degrees last year. Motor must be kept vertical when not in use to assure proper drainage.<br />11 degrees on a January morning and there's still a line at the launch :D <br />
6Lineatramp-med.JPG

CATransplant

Admiral

Hey Major! <br /><br />Y'all are nuts! But that's a heckuva funny photo.