~~ Outboard Block Re-painting ~~

d-lutsky

Cadet
I have a 1989 Evinrude 9.9 that I have completely disassembled due to detoriated water seal grommett. As I am re-assembling it I would love to repaint the engine block/head, etc. The paint has chipped in many places and it is very haggard. Since I have been this invasive with the motor I really would like to shoot a new paint coat on it. I need help with the process:

-best way to remove existing paint? I really don't want to hand sand all of the profiles
-how to properly tape areas that I don't want affected If I was to bead blast?
-primers, number of coats, top coats, etc?

Thanks for any assistance! I have provided some photos of the motor.

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0

mark1961

Ensign
Re: ~~ Outboard Block Re-painting ~~

The powerhaed really doesnt look that bad in the pic, are there worse areas we cannot see?

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What I did was spray it down with cheap carb cleaner from murray's. Took 3-4 cans for a v-6 225hp. That stuff eats the old paint for fun. Scrub with a wire brush while wet. When you get it where you want let dry. Whipe down with rages. Then take a 3M Scotch Brite sanding pad to the rest to remove any chipping paint and scuff up what is left. Re whipe with rag and acetone to clean up powered/dust.

Vo-la you are ready for paint.

d-lutsky

Cadet

The powerhaed really doesnt look that bad in the pic said:
Oh yes, I don't have the pics on hand, but the powerhead is really gross. It is obvious the head became hot at sometime because much of the paint came off. The compression is great, and when I removed the head, I didn't identify any evidence of any damage with the exception of the already suspicious water gromett. I'll be honest, I am super particular, but this head really does need the new paint.

d-lutsky

Cadet

Hi Jeff,
How about the application process, did you use a can or HVLP, I have access to either. Primer, hight temp paint, etc? Thanks for the response!

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bought the spray cans from murrays/o'rieleys. I think they where 2 bucks or close to it a can. Just stray it on. let drip off. Scrub where needed. You might want to have a drip tray to collect the drippings. I collected all the liquid and used it for component cleaning. It works great. I just poured it into a plastic butter container for future use.

Also you will want to not spray onto any electrical or rubber parts. It melts some types of rubbers and coatings.

Caution though, very flamable! Also do it in a well ventalated area, outside! Fumes get to you after a bit.

Thats why I can not spell! lol Actually I'm an engineer, not an author!