Out drive problem

cozza

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a problem with the leg I've got on now is that when I throttle in reverse nothing happens for about 30 to 40 seconds but after it warms up the delay gets shorter
Forward is not a problem
The boat was out of the water about 7 months ago and had the oil changed in the leg
This is a Volvo Penta 290 sp leg
Any suggestions would be great

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Sounds like possibly worn cables, maybe worn clutch,..??

What have ya checked,..??

cozza

Seaman Apprentice
Yes the gear cable does need changing as it pretty stiff.
And with the oil it's the same oil used as my Diesel engine

cozza

Seaman Apprentice
Haven't lifted the boat out yet, I'm trying to some ideas first

captmello

Captain
If the oil is over full it can cause slippage, but it sound like you have really bad slippage. You can check the shifting with the boat in the water if you don't mind getting wet. pull the shift cover off the back of the outdrive, it is not a waterproof area, and have someone work the controls and see if the shift lever is moving full in both forward and reverse. the shift lever on the drive should move about 45 degrees, one way for forward, the other way for reverse.

cozza

Seaman Apprentice
Ok cool when you say it's not a water proof area do you mean when I pull the cover off no water is going to go into the gear section of the box

captmello

Captain
Ok cool when you say it's not a water proof area do you mean when I pull the cover off no water is going to go into the gear section of the box
correct. see attached link for pics.
#68 is the cover, remove the lower screw, and loosen the upper to remove. should be a #3 phillips head.
#51 is the shift lever. in nuetral it is horizontal, and it rotates aprox. 45 degrees either way when shifting. You can also remove the shift linkage and should be able to shift it easily by hand.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Uppe...on_id.022644564--store_id.366--view_id.780524