Out board motor set up

Herm71

Cadet
I put my 1960 10qd motor on my 1952 12' V bottom sea king and ran it today. My motor is a short shaft. My question is how low the prop should be below the bottom of the boat?
I can't seem to get the motor angle set right either. With me and the motor on the boat the front of the boat is up pretty high. If I am going about 1/2 throttle and open it to full throttle it feels like the boat will flip over. It front end comes way up in the air and almost takes on water in the rear!!!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Out board motor set up

The anti-ventilation plate above the prop should be even to slightly higher than the bottom of the boat. With a little 12 footer, you will get quite a bit of bow rise. Not a whole lot you can do except make sure as much weight as possible is shifted up to the front of the boat.

Herm71

Cadet

I just checked and the plate is about 4 1/2 inches below the bottom of the boat. Is there a way I can make something to raise it up?
Thanks

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yes modern thinking says the plate should be even, though when one looks at an old boat/motor setup you will rarely find one that mounts this way w/o modification. I see this question asked fequently and after 3 years of reading this forum seems no one has an answer or reason why these old boats are this way.

My belief is that it is because of the way the old engines used their water pumps and how they were taking water into them.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

A QD10 is a 1950....anyway you can buy or make a jack plate to raise it. Make sure it is still pumping water if you do this.

Herm71

Cadet

A QD10 is a 1950....anyway you can buy or make a jack plate to raise it. Make sure it is still pumping water if you do this.

I have the owners manual with the motor it says 1960 Johnson Sea-Horse 10hp models QD and QDL. I am not sure of the year for sure but that is what the manual says.

How do I go about making a Jack Plate?

Thanks

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

x2 on raising your motor so long as it can still pump water. Try moving your fuel tank and batt to the front of the boat to help keep her bow down. I'd bet you could google jack plate and get a good idea how to build one or find one for sale.

red

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I have the owners manual with the motor it says 1960 Johnson Sea-Horse 10hp models QD and QDL. I am not sure of the year for sure but that is what the manual says.

How do I go about making a Jack Plate?

Thanks

QD-20 is a 1959; QD-21 is a 1960. It should be on a plate riveted to the transom mounting bracket.
If you have a QDL then it is a 20 inch shaft rather than the 15 inch shaft that the boat is likely made for.

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class

throw all your gear near the front of your boat.. after that initial bow-rise... it'll feel like a turbo kicked in... play with the balance of weight distribution a bit... then raise the motor up later, if you still feel you need to..

Bob

J.J

Cadet

You could also try a wedge mount under the mounting bracket ...attached it to the transom on the rear. This will trim the motor in a bit more at the bottom than the factory set up and push the bow down a bit more... that is assuming you have the trim pin set in as close as possible when testing and it is locking in on it.
J.J.

Herm71

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys. Being a new boater I need it!! What effect will raising the motor have on the boat? It is about 4 1/2 inches low.

J.J

Cadet

If you raise it up so that plate above the prop is level with the bottom of the boat you will get a bit better performance as it will have less drag in the water and it should handle better and help with your problem. you also run more risk of damage to your prop and gearhousing if its to low. If it still is lifting to much on the front then try the wedge.. they are available if you look on line or boating outlets. Check that your mounts will fit first.
J.J