Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

coolguy147

Commander
Re: Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

Yeah, TD was very helpful to me when I first came onboard the forum and I miss him a lot. I was able to return the favor and help him with one of his many project boats & motors. May he RIP!

aluminum cleaners, you can probably find some of them at walmart.
http://www.iboats.com/Marine_Metal_C...view_id.217301

That's a quote from a very long time ago. One of my old threads. He did say something about cleaners lol.

coolguy147

Commander

I'm thinking about painting the inside of the aluminum and the plate covering the wood but only painting the sides that contact the wood. I want to paint it to prevent corrosion. Any ideas? Should i just use that exterior 100% acrylic latex stuff?

coolguy147

Commander

I think you are right on target and I suspect it leaked down from somewhere around the transom cap. That same problem is what did in my 1965 LoneStar and sent it to the recycler. My suggestion is to fabricate two pieces of sheet aluminum (one inside and one outside) with a ninety degree bend in each to form a new cap for your transom. Once installed, your efforts to seal out the water will only be at the side joints where it butts up against the hull cap.

Basically a cap to cover the new wood that won't be covered by the outerskin etc? How will i secure it and will i be able to take it off when it comes time to replace the wood lol if i don't sell it by then.

Willyclay

Captain

I'm thinking about painting the inside of the aluminum and the plate covering the wood but only painting the sides that contact the wood. I want to paint it to prevent corrosion. Any ideas? Should i just use that exterior 100% acrylic latex stuff?

I don't think the acrylic latex will work well on aluminum but it might be okay with the right prep and primer. You need to research that issue in the Starmada threads. TD would probably tell you to use Rustoleum!

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

Basically a cap to cover the new wood that won't be covered by the outerskin etc? How will i secure it and will i be able to take it off when it comes time to replace the wood lol if i don't sell it by then.

Look at the 90 Yamaha pictures in the first post because it appears that he bolted the add-on piece of aluminum with the knee braces. FYI, my LoneStar had nylon washers under the head of every screw & bolt on the exterior skin of the transom and NONE of those places had any corrosion when the rest of my transom looked like Swiss cheese! I wish I knew how to draw a picture on this site.

emoney

Commander

Can you not drill those holes using the bracket as a guide? If you can't, it can be safer to start by drilling a very small hole, insert the transom and the check and re-check, gradually getting the hole the right size. It's a lot of work but if you're worried about it being precise. When drilling through wood, I've heard it's actually better to drill a bigger hole, fill it with epoxy that you let harden, and then mount whatever you need to mount by drilling through the epoxy. It eliminates (or helps to) water intrusion through the holes you made. Just a though.

As for your windshield, any good automotive scratch remover can bring a lot of residual haze out it. I recently used Mequillar's on my gauges that had yellowed from the sun and they look great now. As a matter of fact, my wife's headlights had done the same thing and it worked perfectly on them as well. I'm starting to believe that this "Headlight Restorer" product is simply automotive compound repackaged and with it's price increased, lol.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I'm starting to believe that this "Headlight Restorer" product is simply automotive compound repackaged and with it's price increased, lol.

I have to agree with you on that point...at the body shop, we wet sand the lenses with whatever it takes to get the bad scratches out...1000, 1200, 1500, 2000...then give them a good buffing with the vari-speed buffer, some polishing compound and then glaze...

If the customer wants a really LONG lasting finish, we wet sand them, with up to 3000 grit, then spray Clear coat on them, good for about 5 years...

coolguy147

Commander

I have to agree with you on that point...at the body shop, we wet sand the lenses with whatever it takes to get the bad scratches out...1000, 1200, 1500, 2000...then give them a good buffing with the vari-speed buffer, some polishing compound and then glaze...

If the customer wants a really LONG lasting finish, we wet sand them, with up to 3000 grit, then spray Clear coat on them, good for about 5 years...

LOl i need to finish my transom first.

coolguy147

Commander

Well it looks like i'm going to have to buy two 4X8 sheets of plywood. Should i glue the two sheets together first and then cut or cut and glue?

Just any exterior grade of plywood? well...I guess i should ask what can i get from home depot lol? Should i just get marine because it has no knots? What wood has the best resistant to water, PT?

Do they sell that Pl premium stuff at home depot? How much should i get?

Trooper82

Commander

I used titebond III on my transom...cut it to rough shape, then glued it and cut to shape once it dried. Woodonglass has some real nice clamp plans from 2x4's and threaded rod. GT1M used them and they work quite well.

coolguy147

Commander

HMmmmmmm, actual wood glue lol.....

Can't i just lay a bunch of bricks on top of the wood?

Willyclay

Captain

Well it looks like i'm going to have to buy two 4X8 sheets of plywood.

Don't understand the math. If you are raising the transom height to 20inches and a sheet of plywood is 48 inches wide, looks to me like you should be be able to get two pieces of the proper size with some to spare.

DO NOT USE PT WOOD IN AN ALUMINUM BOAT!

coolguy147

Commander

Don't understand the math. If you are raising the transom height to 20inches and a sheet of plywood is 48 inches wide, looks to me like you should be be able to get two pieces of the proper size with some to spare.

DO NOT USE PT WOOD IN AN ALUMINUM BOAT!

What wood can i use? The wood that came out was of very high quality and had no knots. Kinda green.

Willyclay

Captain

What wood can i use? The wood that came out was of very high quality and had no knots. Kinda green.

You really need to read some of the threads that deal with rotten transom cores in aluminum boats but here's some quick info. Marine plywood has no voids inside which makes it very desireable if you can afford it. ABX (exterior plywood) uses the same glue but may have voids and probably only five ply at 3/4inch thick. There is something called Arauco that is exterior grade and has seven ply in the 3/4inch thickness. You want the maximum number of ply for maximum strength. Check out post #415 in this thread below:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=545380&page=17

EDIT: Here's another link with more info than you will probably ever need.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=303172

Last edited:

coolguy147

Commander

Good threads. Ill see what the store has tomorrow. Arauco seems good right now. 7 ply.

Lowes or home depot? :D

Willyclay

Captain

I have only seen Lowe's mentioned as having Arauco or can order it. Good luck!

coolguy147

Commander

ummm heading to lowes right now. I have some 100% exterior acrylic latex paint in the garage but isn't that water based? shouldn't i be using oil-based?

What about thompsons water seal?

coolguy147

Commander

Ok, i bought one sheet of 4X8 wood.

-Self-etching primer for aluminum to resist corrosion (trapped water)
-I decided on using Fiberglass resin to seal the wood. I use the hardener with it no matter what?
-Fiberglass cloth to seal the edges of the wood
-Pl premium to glue the wood together