Ordering Material to Replace Floor & Transom

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have my hull stripped down and I figured While I was doing the prep work for the new floor I would go ahead and order my supplies. My boat is 14' x 42" at the most The Plywood Floor is actually 32" wide, then about a 5" area on each side of the floor that is the actual hull. I figuring about 25 yards of 1.5 oz mat, and 25 yards of 18 oz woving roven. I'am gonna start with 5 gal. of poly resin, 16lb. kit of 4lb. pourable foam, and a few rollers and misc. I hoping this should be enough to do the job, anyone agree or have any tips before I order all this stuff. BTW I'm going back with poly resin just because Its lasted 40 years so far, hopefully I can make it last another 4 years.<br /><br />Thanks guys<br />
hull1.jpg

Laddies

Banned
Re: Ordering Material to Replace Floor & Transom

It seems like 25 yds of mat and 25 yds of roving is a bit much the 14-4 area is 56 sq ft or 6 1/4 yds two layers are plenty, you don't want to add a lot of extra weight---Bob

BillP

Captain

It's hard to say how much material without knowing exactly what you are going to do. However, looking in from way out here in web land I'd say you are calculating about twice as much fabric needed and low on resin by a couple gals. Order a gal of styrene to wipe poly surfaces with. It will give a better bond than using acetone, etc.<br /><br />Calculate resin for cloth (measured by sq yd) by adding up total oz of cloth and that equals amount of resin needed. Double that amount for saturating mat (measured by sq ft).

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was figuring on having extra, but I guess thats alot of extra. :D From reading the archives I was figuring on cutting a 1" wide strip(mat) and then a 3" wide strip (roven) and then a 6" wide strip (mat) for the entire length of the seem where the floor meets the existing glass. I was then figuring on covering the whole floor with 12 ea.(to make about 12' of covered floor) 12" x 50" wide sheets of roven the whole width of the floor just to kinda seal and protect the wood. Then ofcourse I still have the transom to do with the rest of the mat and roven. Transom is roughly 4' across and 15" high. Am I over doing this or is this the right direction? BTW Is this right, I have calculated 5.5 yds of 18oz woven roven, and 2 yds of 1.5 oz mat. So that would mean 5.5 x 18 = 99oz of resin, That dont seem like much resin, theres 128 oz. in one gallon, so I must not be understanding exactly what your talking about bill. Please excuse my ignorance. :( <br /><br /><br />Thanks for the help