Orange/pink vinyl seat stains

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Orange/pink vinyl seat stains

What about the possibility of acid rain (low pH due to local industrial pollution) causing the pigment in the boat cover to become soluble staining the vinyl?

The last post the bow and cockpit covers are black...

sasto

Captain

I have this same issue. However what I have noticed is that it is part of the vinyl that are in contact with my cover. Anyone else have that? Could it be cause by the cover instead of the actual vinyl going bad?

Same problem on a Chapperal.....the area in contact with the black top has the same look....after a couple days it goes away...My conclusion came from another poster...was mildew. I'm leaning that way.

MAINEGUIDE

Recruit

It is a micro organism people.....
It is in the backing or filler on the seats and the problem comes from the manufacturer of the seats. I am fighting with my local starcraft dealer to take care of my hot pink seats. 2 year battle now.
They finally agreed to replace the seats and console but say i have to pay installation costs! Bull....
Letting my insurance co. Handle it now.....

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Micro-organism that lives in the cushion. When they get warm and wet, they start to eat and their sh*t is the pink/organge coloring that you are seeing. Don't laugh, it's true...

^^^
This is truth.

You can kill the organisms with bleach, but the stain left behind is a solid pigment that will not go away. The cause is cheap-a** vinyl that doesn't have (enough) mildewcide/bacteriacide in it.

You will never get the orange/pink discoloration fully out. As has been stated, you can: recover with quality material (not the same crap the mfgr cut corners with in the first place), get fitted seat covers, or use the SEM vinyl paint.

Starcraft was not helpful at all with my pink/orange problem,they told me they never heard of this before(what a load of bs) i wasnt looking for something for nothing but selling me the replacement seats at cost would have been nice,but since I am not the original owner they were like to bad for you!!!Since then I have had the sets stripped and re-dyed and it has eliminated 75 percent of the orange/ pink color,my insurance company paid for this to be done(last sept/october) now the guy who did the dyeing is going to try it again as he gave me/insurance company a 1 year warranty on it,they looked like brand new after dyeing them last fall,i will post the end results when it is done again.
Sure wish Starcraft would have been more willing to help me with replacement because I love the boat and its third Starcraft I have owned but probally the last.

Larry James

It is a micro organism people.....
It is in the backing or filler on the seats and the problem comes from the manufacturer of the seats. I am fighting with my local starcraft dealer to take care of my hot pink seats. 2 year battle now.
They finally agreed to replace the seats and console but say i have to pay installation costs! Bull....
Letting my insurance co. Handle it now.....

What was your end results did Starcraft stand behid it ? Are you the original owner?

Any help would be great!

Thank you,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.