Option to a Cruiser

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In seeing so many prices out of our reach for actual house boats, we may need to consider a cruiser. I'm having a hard time finding a comparable or NADA as it isn't listed in NADA this way. http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bod/4427087949.html

Again, you input on value and what to look out for will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Robb

agallant80

Commander
I like my cruiser but its exactly that, a cruising boat. Its not real great to use as a weekend house. If you really want a house boat for an actual weekend home then I would look further away.

Robbabob

I like my cruiser but its exactly that, a cruising boat. Its not real great to use as a weekend house. If you really want a house boat for an actual weekend home then I would look further away.

Very good input. We current have the 21' Cuddy, and while it can haul ass, we don't use it for that purpose (meaning, we don't wake board, tube or ski). There are a few spots miles apart we visit, but most of our time is in the water in a cove somewhere. Without A/C and the cramped cuddy, 99.9% of the time we dock it for the night and have to drive home., 30 minutes, only to turn around the next morning to head back out.

I've looked in the boat trader in every state, but nothing fits the bill. We're budgeting $20K, but willing to take on a little more to get a little more. Keeping the age in mind ('89 and newer), the best I can find is around $40K.

Except for the one listed at the top, there is this one, http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1989-Sea-Ray-300-DA-102001693 , "listed" as a house boat, but obviously a cruiser.

Bottom line, we aren't going to get anything for free. Seems like I just talked myself into a cruiser for a couple years and save for the bigger picture. Get our A/C and a little more room today and grow up some day for the actual houseboat.

Thanks for letting me ramble on :)

Robbabob

So, Dottie makes a list... pros of either boat, her's v mine.

30-36' Cruiser: lower purchase price, travels faster, needs pulled from water every so many years, winterized/de-winterized, dual engines guzzle gas (single engine tough(er) to dock).

35' Pontoon listed with many upgrades: lower operating cost, more room, upper and lower decks, aluminum pontoons never need removed from water (so she says). She then goes on to tell me she solved the locking issue and we both work out the potential solution.

Difference in purchase price may be erased in a year or two from operating and PM costs, the pontoon then saving us money every year. I'm trying to keep an open mind, while wanting to be reasonable.

Damn pontoon can get further up into the sloughs..... more time to thin it over... hear some feedback.