optimax gell batteries

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in the process of winterizing. i have a two battery setup with Optimax marine gell cells. The manufacturer says they can handle the cold weather. Anyone have evidence to the contrary? should I leave them in the boat as suggested? It is a lot of work to get them out. :rolleyes:

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: optimax gell batteries

I know that wet (lead-acid) batteries can stand the cold but only when fully charged. Discharged they can freeze and break the case.<br /><br />I'm not sure if the same advise would apply to a gell-cell.<br /><br />Optima batteries are real picky about being charged, despite claims to the contrary. Find a smart charger that good for all battery types including Optima, and charge both your batteries fully. In the spring charge them again.<br /><br />I usually disconnect the positive battery terminal for the winter to prevent any drain on the battery. Some people also charge it once a month, but what I do is connect a solar panel once it's fully charged.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If we are talking Optima AGM batteries, which are totally different and superior to Gel Cells, they are completely immune from freeze damage.<br /><br />Follow brianh1234's advice and keep them topped up a couple times over the winter with a smart charger.

D

DJ

Gel cells are a fad, in my opinion. They are NOT for your average consumer.<br /><br />Unless you are willing to set up a charging program, to their spec's., you're wasting your money.

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

the batteries are fully charged are isolated by a battery switch (knocks out the reds). Since I posted I checked with the manufacturer and found out they are ok with freezing. as far as them being a fad, they are the easiest batteries I have ever had to care for and I will let you know next season how they held up. :) thanks for the responses :cool: :cool:

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Gel cells are a fad, in my opinion. They are NOT for your average consumer.<br /><br />Unless you are willing to set up a charging program, to their spec's., you're wasting your money.
As long as you know what you have is different than a normal battery, and you have the correct charger, sealed batteries of all types make everything else look like a half used AA battery. They're especially great in boats since they're much more vibration proof and can be mounted in any orientation.<br /><br />My sealed Odyssey batteries are designed for 400 cycles at 100% depth of discharge. 500 cycles at 80%. Plus they're smaller than a group 24 battery by a long shot, yet still provide over 1,200 cranking amps! I dare you to show me a "regular" battery that can do any of that!

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds great! where do you get odyssey batteries from?

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have same batteries i leave them in my boat all winter but i do un hook them.a far as charging them they do require a minn.of 12 amps to be charged. not 2amps like water batts.i have 2 of them and yes they are pricey.but they are 6 yrs old.and still going strong.if you dont have a trolling motor is not a fishing boat.its a ski boat.