optical sensor for timing????

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do you tell if the optical sensor is bad went to put anylizer meter on it yesterday for a sync and lync and it doesn't light up when plugged .unplug and the lights go on does that mean the optical sensor is bad or what????manual doesn't say anything about this condition just how to do a sync and linc

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: optical sensor for timing????

trying to do lync and sync but meter won't work when hooked up to boat lights up when not connected to motor as soon as we connect it the lights go out what could this be ????

jonesg

Admiral

What engine? model number, yr and hp.
What meter ?
Which manual? Factory or after mkt?

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1991 Johnson fastrike 150hp GLEIS model number and the meter is an OMC engine anylizer for lync and sync manual is OMC manual factory sorry forget that info need some help

jonesg

Admiral

Wow you got all the right tools too, the manual classifies the optical sensor as a "replace to test part", at least its not rediculously expensive to swap out. I would try a roll of the dice and swap it out, at least it would eliminate it if it doesn't work.

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

replaced the sensor last night fired her up after a lync and sync but now were back to square one she won't idle starts up and runs at high idle and as soon as she comes off of it it stalls what now he said he see's some sippage around the bowls could I need to replace them

jonesg

Admiral

Are those the plastic carb bowls ?

if you tighten them too much they warp and leak.
They can be dressed a bit on wet and dry sandpaper on a flat surface, some guys replace them with metal bowls. I would try getting them sealed, make sure the spagetti seals are in place, a bit of grease helps hold them whilst you install the bowl.

Anyway, looks like you found the problem.:)

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes they are plastic and I bought 6 new bowls today and will take it from there hopefully that is it if it does not idle after this I will be at a lost of things to try will let you know after tomorrow nigh when we install them and run her ok

jonesg

Admiral

Just snug those bowl screws down firm, don't crank on them.
You can try spraying WD40 around the carbs and manifold joints to check for air leaks.

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just replaced the bowls tonight and now at least it idles but still isn't right should we do another linc and sync we did one after we replace the optical sensor the other day he told me to take it out tomorrow and run it hard to clear all the junk out of it and then he can tell more by seeing the plugs and we'll go from there any imput you have I appreciate it

jonesg

Admiral

"still isn't right" doesn't describe symptoms very well.

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry but she has a lean sneeze every once in a while and if you give it gas it seems to hesitate than take it also it stumbles and then comes back up it's idling around 900 to 1000 in neutral I'm taking it to the lake now and try it will let you know do you think we should sync and lync again he checked timing and said it was right on

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also the tach keeps cutting out but all the wires are tight behind the dash where else do I check or what else does this mean

jonesg

Admiral

I suspect an air leak, the rather high idle and lean sneeze indicates that.
The timing is good and it was link and sync'd already.

A spraycan of WD40 with the straw nozzle helps to find a leak, spray it around the carb gaskets and intake manifold joinmts, fuel hose connectors etc. Check around the choke for raw fuel leaks, look for damp hoses around the carbs. A cracked hose will suck air and weep fuel.

On the tach, unplug and clean your main harness plug under the hood, spray elec cleaner in the prongs and re-connect, check and clean connectors at the recitifier, thats where the tach picks up its signal, it reads the pulses.
Also try switching the tach thru its range, there a small switch on the rear.
Make sure the purple wire and black ground are good at the ignition switch.
Other than that, they do wear out.

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

took it out today she idled right at about 900 to 950 in neutral a little sneeze every so often but then when I put her in gear she wnet down to 550 to 600 a little low and she won't take gas when you give it she stalls out if I can get it by feathering it to over 1100 she'll go top end was strong 60mph 2 guys in the boat 5400rpm's but bogs down bad out of hole if I hit it hard or stalls can't get it on the trailer in this condition either or even keep it running in gear

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Measure your carburetors' orifice sizes to be sure that they have not widened over the years. Did you synchronize the carburetors and visually check to be sure that they are closing and opening precisely at the same time?

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just found the throttle roller was out of alignment with the arm for the timing hope this is part of the problem at least with the part about taking gas in gear we'll take it from there after I 'll try her tomorrow

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

took her out again today after finding the throttle roller misadjusted still doesn't want to take gas but a litle better easier to feather it still stalls if I throw the hammer done and doesn't want to idle higher than about 500-550 how or where do I look now how come the idle won't come up anything after 1100 and she takes it fine help