Opinions wanted,. I think

2kvert

Seaman
Looking for a bigger boat , I saw a nice four winns. I know nothing about the Volvo Penta set ups. Are there certain things to look for? Are they more or less reliable than mercruiser?
its a 2002 5 0 dual prop
Thanks in advance

alldodge

Staff member
Nothing wrong with VP, in some cases made better then Merc. Issues is less folks have knowledge of them (MPI) so asking questions is limited. Finding documentation is also limited so will be going direct to VP. Some parts cost more

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I very much prefer my Volvo Penta SX to my old mercruiser for various maintenance reasons as well as the smoother shifting with no ratcheting.

alldodge

Staff member
Do agree, but the shifting and ratcheting is gone with a Bravo drive

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Seeing as how it's 18 years old in addition to all the normal checks, I'd also check to see if certain critical parts are still available, there are certain parts for some VP electronic ignition systems and EFI systems that have been discontinued (their catalog will say 'obsolete part') their way of saying you're out of luck. I've seen this with the ignition modules, the vapor chamber for the EFI, some engine computers, etc. Merc does the same crappy thing, 15+ years and stuff starts disappearing.
In this respect you are actually better off with an older boat with simpler systems (ie points distributors, mechanical fuel pumps and rebuildable carburetors) much of this stuff is all in the aftermarket so you won't be left high and dry. I can still get all of this stuff for my 32 year old OMC Cobra 4.3 but the newer ones that had electronic ignition and EFI are a real headache to find parts for.

Get the V/P engine model # and look up things like that, there is a link right on this site to the V/P parts catalog.