Opinions on possible purchase, please

sbulla

Seaman
My neighbor offered me a '94 Alumacraft Angler 16' with a '83 Evinrude 70 for $3K. I looked it over and the interior is trashed (carpet/seats)but the hull appears solid with no bad dents and the trailer is good with new bearings/races. He told me that he had the motor "worked over" but there was a hesitation on initial throttle application that required feathering to keep it from stalling and mentioned that it may need carburetor work but, it runs out good and will push the boat to 50mph according to his depth finder/speedo.

He offered to take me out on it someday to show me how it runs and, when I have the time, I will but, he uses it three or four times a week so, it must not be too bad to handle.

I've been looking for some time now and have seen boats in this area that were in as bad or worse shape for more money so this one has me thinking.

I'm fairly competent with mechanical devices as I have rebuilt jetski and motorcycle engines so, do you think this motor (and boat) would be worth the money or would I be spending more time tinkering than I would be on the water?

Sonny

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opinions on possible purchase, please

I guess I 'd like to see pics, but $3K sounds high to me. The motor is worth something, say $800, and Aluminum boats are easy to work on, but if it is "trashed" it seems too high. I guess if the hull is reasonably good and the trailer is like you say, maybe. NADA says $1300 low reatil for the hull, no motor, no trailer . . . I'd offer him $2K

What do you want to do with it? Fish, play, party?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

here if the engine is clean, and running well, it's worth 1,500- 1,800. probably a dirty carb. if you have the patience to work on a jetski, this is a piece of cake.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Another vote for the 1500 to $2000 range. Sounds like a great project boat. Pics??

sbulla

Seaman

I guess I 'd like to see pics, but $3K sounds high to me. The motor is worth something, say $800, and Aluminum boats are easy to work on, but if it is "trashed" it seems too high. I guess if the hull is reasonably good and the trailer is like you say, maybe. NADA says $1300 low reatil for the hull, no motor, no trailer . . . I'd offer him $2K

What do you want to do with it? Fish, play, party?

When I say "trashed", I mean the carpet is rotted and torn (I know it sat for at least a year uncovered) and the seats are mismatched and some are coming apart and everything is real dirty. With a bit of cleaning, it would look a lot better. The hull is very good and straight with only one small ding he pointed out. It comes with a fish finder/depth gage, a foot controlled trolling motor and power trim.

My camera is currently inop or I would have provided pics. It's equiped exactly the way I would want one 'cause I would be using it mainly for fishing a local lake and, maybe, the river also.

Really, the only thing that I'm conserned with is the motor. I'm not looking for a show boat. I have a lot of folks tell me that the old Evinrudes are tough so, I guess, I'll reserve my opinion 'till after we do a water test and I hear her run.

Thanks for the replies,
Sonny

tashasdaddy

the 83 Rude is just broke in, only 25 years old. easy to work on. old rudes are the 1950's. do the test run, make sure all the wiring isn't starting to fray. compression test, check the lower unit oil for water. i don't know the boat market where you are. but 3k is still on the steep side, but it's aluminum. if it's what you like, and runs good, and you can be happy with it. go for it. you almost never get the money back, you put into a boat. there just pleasure dollars.

studlymandingo

Commander

Tashasdaddy is right on the 'rude's age. Those 3 cyls are tough motors, and not too complex; if you can fix a lawnmower, you can fix a 3 cylinder 'rude. The trolling motor and depth finder do add value, I just don't know if it is enough to justify the 3K price tag.

That all being said...ANYTHING is worth what someone else will pay for it. So if you are happy paying 3K for the boat, then it is worth at least that!!:)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Another vote for the $1500-$2k range. I just bought a 2001 Rivertrail (www site) alum bass boat in excellent shaped with all instrumentation, 3 new batteries, a 60+ lb thrust (forget the exact #) Motorguide with 2 depth finders, and an '02 90 hp Merc (TT standard). for $6k. Didn't have to do anything but increase the pitch on the prop (i.e. bought another).

Mark

sbulla

Seaman

Tashasdaddy is right on the 'rude's age. Those 3 cyls are tough motors, and not too complex; if you can fix a lawnmower, you can fix a 3 cylinder 'rude.​

On that subject, it's been awhile since I've tinkered with an outboard (50 Merc back in the early 70's)...is it OK to run one of these in my yard with the muffs and a good stream of water from the hose? How about putting it in gear without water friction on the prop?

Really do appreciate all the replies!
Sonny

tashasdaddy

it's find to run them on muffs, don't rev over 1500 rpms. you can put in gear, but be careful when shifting. and don't go from forward to reverse until the prop quits turning. Don't walk away from the boat, many motors have been burnt up, by the kids and dogs pulling the hose off, or just falling off.

sbulla

Seaman

My neighbor offered me a '94 Alumacraft Angler 16' with a '83 Evinrude 70 for $3K.

I got my camera to work so, here are some links to pics of the rig:

http://home.comcast.net/~bulla/alum1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~bulla/alum2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~bulla/alum3.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~bulla/alum4.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~bulla/alum5.jpg

He still has it but is firm on the price. I told him I was not in a hurry to purchase since I was in the middle of knee surgery and recovery and to not "hold" it for me. He want a bigger boat so, maybe, he'll offer me a better deal if he doesn't get any other offers.

Sonny

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You have to remove and replace all the carpet, replace the seats and it looks neglected. No instrumentation.... fuel guage....Tach.... livewell pump or pumps work? What about a bilge pump?

What shape are the batteries? Do the running lights on the boat work?

How are the trailer tires?

Offer him 2K after you water test it and you are satisfied. Has the engine been in saltwater? Carbs probably need re-building.... plugs? How abbout the impellar?

If he completes the above list then 3K would work until then not a penny over 2K.

When that much of the boat looks neglected ..... it is likely the engine has been too.

sbulla

Seaman

You have to remove and replace all the carpet, replace the seats and it looks neglected. No instrumentation.... fuel guage....Tach.... livewell pump or pumps work? What about a bilge pump?

Well, I don't HAVE to replace the carpet, seats, etc...right now anyway...to use it. That WOULD be a winter project though. ;-)

Only instrumentation is the finder/depth gage. Shows speed, water temp, and a few other things also. It has two gas tanks (at least 6gal each, I think). Live well pump works as does bilge.

What shape are the batteries? Do the running lights on the boat work?
How are the trailer tires?

Batts are a recent install..not new but working. Not sure about lights. Tires are OK, not cracked with tread and he stated the bearings and races have just been replaced.

Offer him 2K after you water test it and you are satisfied. Has the engine been in saltwater? Carbs probably need re-building.... plugs? How abbout the impellar?

The motor is a recent install (this year). He purchased it from a mechanic friend who took it off a pontoon boat used only in fresh water and it was the original motor on the 'toon. All he could tell me is that his friend "went though and freshened up" the motor before installing it on this boat.

Like I said before, I know this boat as I have watched it sit in his yard, uncovered, for at least a year with no motor.(it killed me too!) He, just in the last few months, has installed the motor and started using the boat regularly.

I wouldn't feel too bad paying that much for this boat as I have been shopping this area for a few months and it's in line with others I have seen but, I'm in no hurry and if he sells it before I'm ready, that's OK. I may just head for that dealer I saw that has the '06 Carolina Skiff J16 with a Honda 30 that wants to deal. ;-)

Sonny

tashasdaddy

ok now that's a real boat.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I agree TD, Carolina Skiff with a Honda engine would last forever..nice boats..
3K is just way too much for that boat!

tashasdaddy

just remember you are going to have to pay for that honda. they ain't cheap, but imho worth every penny.

sbulla

Seaman

just remember you are going to have to pay for that honda. they ain't cheap, but imho worth every penny.

I've always liked the Skiff's with their center console's, simple interiors and flat bottoms, This one is brand new and equipped with a live well, stainless rails front and rear, bimini top, windshield/grab rail, cooler seat, galvanised trailer, and that "cute" little Honda 30 four stroke.

They tell me it's listed for $9500.00 but, their trying to move it 'cause they're no longer going to be a dealer and will take a good offer. I'm going to talk with my bank about used versus new rates soon so, what do y'all think would be a reasonable offer I could shoot at the dealer?

Sonny

tashasdaddy

start at 8000 if he really wants to be rid of it.

cbavier

Lieutenant

3K is way too much for a boat in that condition. I vote $1500-$2000 to.
It sounds like it has been used a lot and obviously abused or not taken care of. Go to nadaguides.com and check out the value in poor condition.

But as someone has said if your willing to pay that much. It's your money.

I know where a 2000 16ft Starcraft is with a 2000 65 Hp Merc. Both are in Mint condition and for $4,000 includes like Jackets and all Coast Guard needed equipment,
The man died and wife just wants out of it.

I wish I would have had that chance two years ago to buy this boat.