opinions on Mercury 1150

tracterman2

Cadet
I am about to get a Mercury 1150, I am unsure of year...late 70's early 80's I'm sure of...if it is mechanically sound I will buy it this weekend...from what I'm told it is...pros/cons of this engine?? Experience with this engine?? It will be on a ranger bass boat. Dependibilty of this engine?? Servicibabilty?? Availabilty of parts?? Just whatever thoughts or experiences you have on the engine. By the way...a junked Johnson is coming off the Ranger :D Thanks again for you help!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: opinions on Mercury 1150

you have to practically flood them on cold starts. check wiring on it. harness deterioate.

OldMercsRule

Captain

They have the same problems all old Mercs have: #1 weak cooling systems, (weak but simple to service and easy to keep yer eye on); #2 weak fuel systems, (better then the earlier inlines, [each carb had a filter on the early ones, where the later ones had one filter at the pump] still a weak system, but again relatively easy to service and keep on top of). #3 I prefer the distributer type of ignition, (last year 1979), in 1980 they used a stator and one coil per cylinder. Others may differ with me here, but I like the distributer type system. That all said: these engines are very powerfull for their weight, look very good, and fairly inexpensive. I luv 'em, 'course: I'm kinda a nut. Good luck. JR

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I know I love mine!! Make sure to get a compression reading for all cylinders and check the lower unit oil to make sure it's not milky.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Just buy it..they are getting scarce. Broken will get ya grand easy in parts alone on Ebay parted out...