Opinions on a setup

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer
Im looking to put a stereo in my 15 ft aluminum Seanymph and have found a bunch of info already, but I just want to get some opinions on how I plan to set the whole thing up.

Im running a 1962 Johnson 28h with no generator on it. I have a fairly new Everstart deep cycle trolling battery with 540 CC amps (not a great #) that I had used as a starting battery with no issues. (I pull it and charge it once in awhile) Also running off this is my fishfinder, bilge and lights. Im not out at night and have only actually had to run the lights once in 3 years.

What my plan is, get a 2nd battery to run a stereo off of and possibly a couple mini led lights for illumination in certain areas in the off chance I am out at night and need to see something. This battery will be installed under the bow seats. The stereo wont be amped, but will have a CD player and 17-22 RMS. I will be hooking up 2 four inch and 2 6.5 inch speakers to it. I plan on having a toggle to shut the power completely off when done boating. Im not concerned with saving pre-sets on the stereo.

I was thinking I should get a new "starting" battery and use the deep "trolling" battery for the stereo, or possibly just a car battery for the stereo and leave the other one alone. Dunno... I use the fish finder quite a bit, but im sure a stereo would draw twice the power the ff does. The bilge gets used 2 min a trip, so its not much of a draw. Height is an issue under the bow seats, so a car battery can be had in the right size easier. Not sure if it would be the right choice as far as constant draining though. I will have to modify the space under the bow seats to fit my Everstart deep cycle if I use it there. Id rather have a deep cycle for the stereo and a new battery for starting, so that sounds like my best option.

I was also thinking of putting a solar 5w trickle charger (Coleman mod# 50005) on the stereo battery to somewhat offset the drain during stereo use, and to keep it up during off days parked in the driveway. Ive read conflicting opinions to this being enough to offset the stereo drain so it wouldnt kill the battery during a day of tunes. Would it be ok on a deep cycle? I would be looking at 3-4 hours a trip running the stereo at mid to low volume while at anchor, so I think it a good chance it would be all I need. Heck, I could just clip it on the starting battery at times if I knew there would be a dry spell of boating too.

Any opinions on this plan of attack?

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Opinions on a setup

Sounds good, but consider these points please: First, you're right to get a second battery, but I wouldn't get a regular car battery because they're not designed to take the physical abuse and constant depletion and recharging that is required of a boat battery. Second, this has been a recent topic of debate in several threads, but you probably won't need an in line switch because most of today's marine head units can be turned off completely with the integrated power button. You'll be able to determine whether yours can by looking at the specs of course. It's certainly not a problem if you want to install a switch, but it will probably just be overkill. Third, I think you'll be disappointed with a solar charger. Since you keep the boat in your driveway you'll be much better off with an AC onboard charger. You can get a good dual bank model for well under $200 that will recharge and maintain your batteries. All you have to do is remember to plug it back in when you get home and unplug it when you leave.:redface: Finally, you don't mention a trolling motor, so I'll assume you either don't have one or don't use it much. If this is not the case let us know. Might be a factor. Good luck!

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply Coop.

No I dont have a trolling motor or plan on getting one unless I can spring for a newer ob with a charging system. Even then, Im not sure a trolling motor would be a good fit on my bowrider unless I stood on the seats to use it.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about using a car battery. It probably wouldnt like the constant draining but I was mulling the idea over.

I think I will opt for the shut off switch though, that way I know for a fact it isnt draining the battery. Once I switch it on, it will stay on till Im done boating for the day even if Im not listening to the stereo the whole time. I would only have to set my pre-sets up once per day that way.

I can just slap my home charger on the batteries once in the driveway, I was just thinking the solar one would prolong the stereo battery life out on the water. 5w is probably not enough to offset the drain to gain a couple hours?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I can just slap my home charger on the batteries once in the driveway, I was just thinking the solar one would prolong the stereo battery life out on the water. 5w is probably not enough to offset the drain to gain a couple hours?

Probably not from what others have said on here. Spring for the onboard charger. I promise you'll wonder what you ever did without it. Just what do you catch in those Maine backwaters, any way?

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, I just bought my Fish and Ski and before I even put it in the water the first time I bought a MiniKota on-boat charger. This was after we spent close to two hours with the prior owner trying to get the boat to start because he forgot to charge the starting battery, but did charge the trolling battery. He told me he had showed it to one other person and did just the opposite so the trolling motor didn't work. The MiniKota I bought was not much over $100 and supports 2 batteries.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Probably not from what others have said on here. Spring for the onboard charger. I promise you'll wonder what you ever did without it. Just what do you catch in those Maine backwaters, any way?

Well theres a little bit of everything here to fulfill most angling desires Coop, but Im usually on the hunt for smallmouth myself.

Ice fishing is a different story though.

Are you talking an onboard charger that charges while running?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

5W is going to be close to 1/4 of an amp so you can do the math...basically nothing. It might keep a fully charged battery charged but don't expect it to do anything more.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

5W is going to be close to 1/4 of an amp so you can do the math...basically nothing. It might keep a fully charged battery charged but don't expect it to do anything more.

Well that sucks....But then again, it would be a fully charged battery at the start and if it slowed the draining process even a little bit it would be worth looking into. Like I said, the stereo wouldnt be on the whole day, maybe a few hours.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Well theres a little bit of everything here to fulfill most angling desires Coop, but Im usually on the hunt for smallmouth myself.

Ice fishing is a different story though.

Are you talking an onboard charger that charges while running?

Sweet. Love the smallies. No, the onboard charger has to be plugged in to work, but not only does it insure a full charge every time you go out, it also protects your batteries from premature failure due to irregular charging habits.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Sweet. Love the smallies. No, the onboard charger has to be plugged in to work, but not only does it insure a full charge every time you go out, it also protects your batteries from premature failure due to irregular charging habits.

Well Ive got a little home charger I can pop onto the batteries if need be, I could use the onboard charger $ in other areas of boating need. LOL

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Well Ive got a little home charger I can pop onto the batteries if need be, I could use the onboard charger $ in other areas of boating need. LOL

Yes you can, but you're missing the point. The onboard charger will charge your batteries (both of them at the same time) just like the portable charger you're using now. But, in addition to that it will maintain them at a constant 12.6-12.7 volts, which will make them last much longer and help you get the maximum benefit from your electronics. It will save you money in the long run and save you aggravation and work immediately. Is it absolutely necessary? No. Is it a little money well spent? No question.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Smallies love rock btw. :)

A decent deep-cycle should power your stereo for most, if not all of the day. Always put it on the charger as soon as you get home.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Smallies love rock btw. :)

A decent deep-cycle should power your stereo for most, if not all of the day. Always put it on the charger as soon as you get home.

I'll be waiting for one to post in the favorite drummer thread over in Dockside Chat. :cool: