Opinions on 1979 Cobalt 18ft

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/2921647242.html

Hello guys, well I am eye balling an old boat. I am looking for opinions here, aside from all the usual responses here (check stringers, transom, no omc etc..) lol assuming all is well with the boat, what do you think about that era of boat. Would I be better off looking at newer 10k or less boats and might end up with a problem boat anyways. I figure if it all checks out and I can get it for maybe a smidge less that he wants for it, I will still be plenty cash strong to fix anything that breaks.
He is gonna send me more pictures after work. I am looking for ideas of how it rides, is it a wet ride, rough ride, etc... compared to something newer. I dont wakeboard so i could care less about wakes and stuff. Lemme hear it guys, I know some of you remember me asking about chaparrals in the past, which I still drool over but, life happens and works on that high dollar boat fund every time I turn around and I am sick and tired of sitting on the dock watching people go out it cheap boats having a blast. :facepalm:

Philster

Captain
Re: Opinions on 1979 Cobalt 18ft

4250? Meh. He's trying to get some cashola for his Merc rebuild.

Under 3k and you're talkin'.

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class

So 3k, Thats kind of where I was thinking on it. I do not want to insult anybody on an offer though. So realistically I might be way off but I am hoping to get a couple summers use out of it. By them hopefully I will have made most of the rookie mistakes and be in a better cash position to entertain the idea of upgrading a decade or two:)

On something that old should I be expecting to put a drive and all that goes with it? btw, i do not know what drive it is other that it isn't white lol.
Or am I just buying somebody elses problem and need to look elsewhere.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

This is a tough one to call. I think Cobalt is considered to be a pretty high-end boat these days, but in 1979, who knows? Many boat brands have gone through numerous corporate owners through the decades. Some enhanced their reputation, some flushed it down the crapper during the time they owned it.

Chris*Craft has certainly had its ups and downs. Brunswick's ownership of Bayliner and Searay, for instance, had mixed results- Bayliner got much, much better... while local folks I respect maintain that Searay quality was downgraded by that same 'parent'.

Bottom line is that, as with any used boat (and especially one as old as that one), its current condition means far more than the brand stenciled on the side. I also agree that the boat advertised is overpriced.

My .02

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What gets me more than the high asking price is the reason for selling...his daughter is graduating...so what? Does that mean he needs thousands of dollars to pay for her graduation party or something? Gee, hasn't he known that she was going to graduate, say, oh the last four years? :facepalm: These kinds of ad's just tickle me! :rolleyes:

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class

well he sent me pictures and it looks great for the $, other than a couple seats that are a little bit rough, I am thinking seriously about making an offer. I think I am gonna sleep on it:)

haulnazz15

Captain

Cobalt has been a solid boat from the beginning. I can't think of a whole lot of Cobalts that weren't top notch, but maybe in the 80's when times were tough for many boat mfgs. The 18'er will be about like any other 18' boat, but probably a little heavier. From the look of the wood (which was a feature of Cobalts over other mfg's in this class) it looks to have been taken care of well. I'd think 3-3500 is a fair price for it for sure. If it was a 20' boat, it'd fetch $4k easily. It looks to have the 350/Merc pre-Alpha drive so I don't think you'll have any issues there. As long as the stuff you mentioned is good and everything works/runs, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class

photo.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is more pictures but they are just more of the same, whatcha think guys.

Philster

Captain

Looks like a find... provided she is sound inside the structure.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks pretty ratty to me. The remaining original upholstery is trashed and the original lounger seats replaced with the low-end wise models. This boat is NOT worth the premium price being asked.

Philster

Captain

I was talking @ a sub 3k price, as I mentioned earlier.

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class

One thing that sticks out to me is that "whale tail" on the drive. Most (not all but most) of the cobalts that size and vintage came with 350 V-8s and should have zero problem with planing. I would sure be asking the owner why it was added. If he says it was to plane faster or pull skiers up I would be nervous about the boat being water logged and carrying too much weight and do a deep inspection.

Well that was all I needed to hear about all that, I love watching Frisco's videos but, I have no desire to actually need to watch them in detail. I dont have time for that. Thanks for your imput guys, the comments confirmed what I was thinking. I politely declined any futher inquisition with the owner. I guess its time to start paddling to the party cove on canyon lake.