Opinion on 2004 Rinker 250 ...

agallant80

Commander
Re: Opinion on 2004 Rinker 250 ...

You could be right about bayliner vs searay cabinates. Can we agree that Searay puts more effort to make their laminated stuff to look better. At least Searay uses real steel hardware. The pulls on all of my drowars are plastic.

Hai Nhi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a good boat, the main issue with these are the drive units. If it has the bravo 3, you are good to go. The composites are known to hav.

It does have B3. How to know which one has composites? And why it's bad?

Thanks

Nhi

Hai Nhi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thin hull is total BS.

:) hehehe. I'd like to believe that too. Kinda of curious where posters usually find reliable info/facts to back up their statement.

The Rinker seems pretty nicely built (except small engine room), but about $3-$5k less than regal/sea ray. Where do their boats lack to compensate the savings, and how to regconize that?

I mean, I really want to see if this rinker is worth buying for the savings I might get compare to getting a same age from searay or regal.

Another thing is the cockpit layout: I like having a double helm seat. Regal/four winns would have a u-shaped bench set up behind it, vs with rinker, you'd get a long bench to the left, and only another bench at rear (again vs u-shaped). So, those of you who have these differrent setups, how you like it? Dis/Advantages?

I could only imagine the long bench on the left to be an advantage when underway, where your friends/family can seat there and talk to you. But they could only face sideway (on bayliner 245 for example, there's a l-shape bench, 1/2 people can seat facing forward).

Regal/four winns (I think sundancer 240-250 too) don't have anything (bench/seat) to the left of a double helm.

Thanks.

Nhi

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Well, this poster got his "thin hull" information from actual experience. I have several freinds that own Rinkers. A 250 FV, a 310FV and a 270FV. None of those boats had any resemblence to a thin hull. You should also broaded your brand search, at least for comparison sake. I think you will find that Montery makes a boat that is on par with Sea Ray, Regal and Four Winns.

As far as cockpit layout is concerned, that is a matter of preferrence. what you like/need is the most important.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

SOP now for all cookie cutter builders, veneer cabinets. It is a cost and weight savings. So that is what you will see , unless you buy a custom or semi custom yacht.

It's a shame, my price point boat from the 80s actually has solid wood cabinets, and solid wood cabinet door stiles and rails in the galley and salon.

You will most likely find better hardware, possibly cleaner installs on systems, way deep in the bilge the higher priced boat may be prettier, or more care taken to build.

Hai Nhi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, this poster got his "thin hull" information from actual experience. I have several freinds that own Rinkers. A 250 FV, a 310FV and a 270FV. None of those boats had any resemblence to a thin hull. You should also broaded your brand search, at least for comparison sake. I think you will find that Montery makes a boat that is on par with Sea Ray, Regal and Four Winns.

As far as cockpit layout is concerned, that is a matter of preferrence. what you like/need is the most important.

I thought Montery is also a budget brand, no?

Nhi

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It does have B3. How to know which one has composites? And why it's bad?

Thanks

Nhi

Composite drive was a Volvo product: XDP.

Web search will reveal lots of (expensive) horror stories.

Hai Nhi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NO, definately not. You need to take a look at them and see for yourself.

Hahaha. That's good to hear. I asked because I saw listings, but at lower prices. One example: 1996 Montery 276 Cruiser It's a twin though. I'm not into twin since it'd be double the maintenance/fixing

Nhi

Slip Away

Lieutenant

The 276 was a good boat, but too old and dated. Plus, Monterey factory fire in 1998 wiped out almost all their files on boats made before then, so support for those older models is diffivult to get. Look at newer 250CR, 260CR,270CR models. We owned a 282CR with twins, and a Four Winns before that. The Monterey 282CR was an outstanding boat, but larger than what you are looking for. Before we bought it, we compared it to a Sea Ray 280DA, Rinker 290 and a FW 298 vista. Hands down it was a better value for the money, and fit and finish was equal to the others. Layout was more to our liking too, so we bought it. I still miss that boat today...