One thing after another...

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: One thing after another...

I think coolguy147 has the lead in the longest thread, about his old 10hp. Started December 11th, 2008 and 373 posts.:D:D:D

I decided to check out this thread... Geez. It seems like every other reply was people trying to figure out what in the world he was saying. As far as actual advice and questions that are not grammatical abortions, I think my thread has his beat. HAHAHA

Once my son goes to bed in a few minutes, I'm going to start tearing into those carbs.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

well, from what I understand, he is/was a youngster who was tackling quite a project for his age, which I think was quite astounding for someone his age.:D:D More power to him. I see a lot of people in my age group who have trouble with grammar, so I wouldn't fault him for that.:cool:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Coolguy reminds me a bit of myself back then, he's a good lad.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, same here. I was into working on bikes and lawnmowers and the other fun pieces of iron:D:D

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For Coolguy, I applaud him for taking on a motor as old as his parents are, but reading his posts was a little bit of a chore.

The carbs are done. They actually looked pretty good, there wasn't anything in the bowls. Hopefully some fresh gas in the morning will make all the difference. I plan on using a regular gas can with the tank end of the primer hose down in it. Is there anything specific that I need to incorporate? There is an inline filter between the bulb and the pump. After it gets running I plan on replacing all the lines and hoses because they have all seen better days.

Could low compression be causing the motor to not suck in fuel while starting, because it seems like that as long as there is fuel sprayed directly into the cylinder then it will start fine but won't suck it in enough to keep it running.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Let's go back in time, this thing ran , spark was the issue. It will run, probably got bad gas in it. Drop a line just as you described into a tank of FRESH fuel and give it a shot. Primer working OK on it?

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By the primer, do you mean the click that I hear when I push the key in or the primer bulb.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am) but isn't the click the sound of the choke? I'm not real sure how all that works, but I thought it was the choke solenoid. Either way, it does click when I push the key in.

As for the primer bulb... it pumps up but I'm pretty sure there is a small air leak somewhere up by the carbs because I can hear a small hissing sound coming from behind the air silencer when I pump the bulb. Also, I'm not sure how hard the bulb should get. I know it is supposed to be hard but are we talking rock hard or like a ripe avacado?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well this changes everything!

People get confused with the bulb and the primer. The bulb fills the carb bowl, the primer injects fuel for cold starting.

That's why it's having an issue starting, it's got a primer solenoid to inject gas into the intake on cold start, there are no choke plates. Check the ground at the primer. If it still doesn't work get a test light on the positive side of the primer get someone to push the key, no light, no primer. If it's got light then the primer may be bad or could be hung up from sitting. You can take it apart and try and free it up.

Before determining it is bad, look for a red lever on the solenoid, this is to manually prime the motor in case of failure or manual starting the motor - an override if you will. Switch the position of the lever, have someone at the switch, raise the idle lever to where you normally start and turn the key without pushing. Once it's been running for around 5-10 seconds switch the lever back.

Test that primer too.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Exactly. There were certain motors that had electronic primers, rather than a choke butterfly. The bulb on the fuel line isn't really what you would call a "primer" but it's there to just charge up the fuel system and get it ready to start. One should not think that the bulb is there to "do cold starts" but should check and make sure whatever cold start mechanisms are working properly, whether it is an electronic choke, or electronic primer.:cool:

Cool to see you're doing what you can to help others out bktheking. :cool:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The choke primer,enrichner,solenoid..what every you want to call it,does not squirt fuel !! It is a basic electric check valve that opens and closes with the keyswitch activation. The fuel pressure from the "primer" bulb and fuel pump pressure when cranking is what pushes (squirts) fuel in the cylinders for "priming" or choke. There is also a filter inside primer that can get stopped up and reduce volume of fuel to crankcase causing hard starting.

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I took the "thing" off and cleaned it up. There was a little bit of gunk on the red lever but thats about it. The screen looked real good and the gasket was still intact so i reused it. It measured right at 4 ohms, which the book said was acceptable. I am going to put the carbs back on with all new fuel lines and give it a go. We have freezing rain right now so its not really the best time to be messing with the boat, but the forecast says it should quit by the afternoon so I'll try it then.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Thanks Fazt for clearing that up, I guess my terminology got a bit messed up, I guess the gist of what I meant is correct.

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IT'S ALIVE!!!

It ran like crap, smoked out the entire neighborhood, woke up a sleeping child and stalled out after a minute but I couldn't be happier. I'm not sure if it was the primer deal, the carb cleanings or just sheer luck, but it ran. Now I suppose I need to check the timing and fix the kill switch. One small problem though, is that after about a minute of running, it still didn't pee water. It didn't get warm enough to open the thermostats, but water should still come out the tell tale right?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

HOPE YOU GOT VIDEO!!!!

It should be, could be a plugged tell tale line.

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll get a video once my boy wakes up from his nap. It's right outside his window and it's pretty dang noisy. Hopefully it will fire back up.

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not sure why, but youtube won't let me upload anything. Technical difficulties. Either way... It fired right up. It still smoked really bad and I'm pretty sure its not running on all cylinders. The water still isn't coming out of the tell tale. I blew air into the hose and it wasn't clogged. I may have to drop the LU back down and make sure the pickup tube is pushed into the powerhead. I suppose the horribly old gas is part of the cause for all the smoke. Im going back out to find out which cylinders aren't firing.

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After running the motor on fresh premix, the smoke reduced to normal and it seemed to run much much smoother. But still no water was pumping. I went ahead and pulled the lower unit off, but I have family obligations tonight so it will have to wait until tomorrow. I figure that now that I have it off, I should clean it up and repaint it. Any advice on what to use as far as paint and primer. I plan to use some paint stripper, will this hurt the aluminum?

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Turns out the pick up tube was not in the hole in the bottom of the powerhead. I re-aligned it and now it works as advertised. It runs, and pumps water. Tomorrow I will put it in the water and test with some back pressure. I'm pretty sure I can call this case CLOSED.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Congratulations, cool to see you're getting it whipped into shape.:D:D Sometimes these motors can make us pull our hair out, trying to figure stuff out.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's awesome bro, congrats, must be a good feeling. Now the questions of the century, you keeping it or selling it?

After all that work, it makes me wonder, you going to enjoy the fruits of your labour?