On/Off Cleaner for bottom paint

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How bad of an idea is it to try and take off my bottom paint with on/off cleaner? I've used it before on my fathers boat to take off the water stain so I have experience using it. Also, my bottom paint isnt the permanent one. It rubs off when in the water. So would on/off take it off?

alldodge

Staff member
On/Off will not take paint off. You have ablative paint which wears away, and over enough time it will wear off, but the cleaner will not take it off straight away

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
They do make special 'fiberglass-friendly' paint remover that you could apply to soften it up for removal.

Are you trying to remove it or just clean it??

On/Off will stain the paint but will clean off growth. If you do this, then take some acetone and a scotch-brite pad and wipe down the paint. It will look like you just repainted the whole bottom and it doesn't take that much acetone to do it, not much work (but it is messy). I'm still using the same gallon and I've been doing it every spring for 4 years.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Decided to start my own thread on this subject.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They do make special 'fiberglass-friendly' paint remover that you could apply to soften it up for removal.

Are you trying to remove it or just clean it??

On/Off will stain the paint but will clean off growth. If you do this, then take some acetone and a scotch-brite pad and wipe down the paint. It will look like you just repainted the whole bottom and it doesn't take that much acetone to do it, not much work (but it is messy). I'm still using the same gallon and I've been doing it every spring for 4 years.

i wanna take it off because its wearing off and its spotty, and doesnt look good at all. But ill try the fiberglass friendly paint remover idea