OMC Trim Senders

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, here's probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. <br /><br />Has anyone attempted to "fix" a trim sending unit. I ask because both of mine "semi-function". Meaning that they will read at both ends of the spectrum, but when the drives are in mid position, the reading drops off. I'm wondering if it's a matter of cleaning some contacts (if the sensors are accessible).. I don't know. Just asking before I hand over $160 to replace them.<br /><br />The actual guages seem to work find.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />-David

tommays

Admiral
Re: OMC Trim Senders

no brand of trim sender has a trouble free life and a LOT of people learn to just drive by feel and save the money<br /><br />tommays

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

David....I don't think you can fix them, the sender is filled in with some kind of a semi-gel substance I guess to protect it from vibration and moisture but the moisture still seems to get in and corrode the potentiometer. You either learn to go without or pay the price for a new one.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

sorry about the big picture....my avitar grew?<br />ok...now it's gone?

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class

sometimes the arms bend and they are replacable have someone watch gauges as you move senders thur range if gauge works try just replacing arms

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by marinemech:<br /> sometimes the arms bend and they are replacable have someone watch gauges as you move senders thur range if gauge works try just replacing arms
I have an '89 4.3L Cobra. The gauge works, but the gauge range shows from about mid trim (when trimmed fully down) to full up (I've adjusted the sending unit as much as possible). Have ignored for a couple of years since I drive by feel anyways, but if there's a chance that I can fix by just replacing the arm, probably worth the time to do it. Does mine sound like it might be a good candidate for this fix? Would it be easy to tell if it's the arm by just pulling it and looking at it? <br /><br />Thanks.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Not sure but I know that changing them is a royal pain, because the wiring has to get snaked up through the gimble housing into the boat,and there is a rubber grommet that has to be secured with a clip. My mechanic changed how the wiring is routed, by cutting the OE wiring, leaving the plug in, drilling a hole through the transom shield and running the wire up and through a small through hull like a transducer wire. So I can pretty easily change it myself. If you leave the boat in salt you are lucky if it lasts through one season.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I've changed about a half a doz of these and every time it's been defective inside. Never had an arm problem as it's just spring loaded and follows the drive as it goes up and down. If you can get to it the easiest thing to do is unplug it inside the boat just after it comes through the transom and use an ohm meter on it (it's only a 2 wire connector so polarity doesn't matter but make sure you put the meter on the sender part of the connector) The meter should measure close to 200 ohms at one end and then close to zero at the other. Can't remember if up or down is the 200 but it doesn't matter, if you don't get the full range or if it goes down to 50 ohms or something or you get an irregular reading then it's shot and needs to be replaced. I have never put the clip on to hold it in either but do smear some silicone on the rubber grommet. If you have ever tried to pull the old one out you can see why I don't bother with the clip.

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class

lakelivin: you can tell if its an arm problem by tilt drive all the way up and move arm thur its range while someone watches gauge if gauge works changing the arm may fix it.<br />personnally i would just ignore it or replace trim gauge with a clock to fill hole

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips. <br /><br />It's not that I really "need" them (does anyone?) It's just that I'm a bit of a perfectionist.. they guage is there, so I want it to work correctly! I went through the same thing with my old Judson engine sync.<br /><br />I was just hoping I could get away with fixing them, instead of spending $80 each on new sending units.<br /><br />Thanks again!<br /><br />(SPRING IS ALMOST HERE!!!!!)