OMC trim ???'s

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'd like to install a Trim gage on my '88 3L OMC 4Winns, The sending unit is factory installed & wired. So, my question is... can you tell if the sender is funtional, and how to find the end point of the sending wire in the dash wire harness, and of course any other word of wisdon on this project??? <br />Thanks lot's , gary

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC trim ???'s

Check the wires from the sending unit to where they go through the transom. Are they damaged?<br /><br />Then inside the boat, find the wires where they come in from the transom. Follow along until you come to the rubber plug connector. At that point disconnect the plug. Use an OHM meter to check resistance from the sending unit side. ( should measure from "0" to "240" roughly )while someone is working the lever on the unit up and down. If it doesn't, it's bad.<br /><br />Turn on the keyswitch. Then on the other side of the connector,short the two wires together. If your gauge runs full up, then full down, while making and breaking the connection, that means the wiring and the gauge are operable(not always accurate, but operable)

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks rabid, the boat was set up for a gage but not installed,I have a wireing diag. for it but is there a easier way th find the wire ends. I'd like to have it worked ou before I spend 30+ $ for a gage. <br />thanks lots for your input!<br />gary

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

On a standard OMC wiring harness the trim sender wire is brown/white stripe. It should go in and out of the main 10 pin connector at pin 10 and under your dash you should be able to find the brown/white stripe wire loose somewhere. The trim sender has 2 wires but one goes off to ground and the other goes to the guage. As Rabidfish said you should be able to find the wires coming through the transom mount somewhere near where the steering attaches. It will go into a 2 wire connector about 1 to 2 ft inside the boat and then go to the main harness.

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great help, Thanks! Soon as it warms up around here... and other... now poss. more ominous problems( water logged foam???) Get addressed, I can get working on the trim.<br />Thanks again!