OMC Stringer Tilt Problem

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have a 1977/78 OMC 170 HP unit. A little while ago the tilt motor would not lift the engine. I could hear the motor engaging. But I took out the tilt motor and we tested it as the easiest fix first. It worked fine. So I just went to reinstall the tilt motor, and I was reaching in and cleaning it before I put the pump in. And I found a curved piece of metal. It fits inside the end of the hammer coupler. What is the part it may of come from? I know we have to get it out of the water to fix it, but we don't have a trailer for it, its a 28' boat. So I am trying to get my ducks lined up before I get started.

It looks like the piece is a dog ear that broke off of the inside where the tilt motor goes in.

Thanks.

WizeOne

Commander
Re: OMC Stringer Tilt Problem

Here is a picture of the hammer coupling. It looks the same on both sides. There are two keys, one on each half and they do slide out and they are flat.

Hammerblowcoupler-1.jpg

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for responding so fast. Ok the hammer couplers i have are fine then. The little dog ear i found in the where the tilt motor goes, fits on either side of the keys in the middle of the couplers. is there a part on the inside that sticks out and fits on both side of the hammer couplers key? kind of like something that locks the coupler and the worm drive togther? like 2 forks that stick out and go into both side of the key on the coupler?

Thanks.

superbenk

Commander

Thanks for responding so fast. Ok the hammer couplers i have are fine then. The little dog ear i found in the where the tilt motor goes, fits on either side of the keys in the middle of the couplers. is there a part on the inside that sticks out and fits on both side of the hammer couplers key? kind of like something that locks the coupler and the worm drive togther? like 2 forks that stick out and go into both side of the key on the coupler?

Thanks.

Sounds like you have a broken worm-gear shaft. The shaft has a slot cut into one end of it that slides into the hammer-blow coupler (the slot accepts the key in the center of the coupler). I had to replace mine as well. Here's the part:

http://www.iboats.com/OMC-Sterndriv...1022806--**********.817892137--view_id.268994

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for answering so quick.

Can I replace this from the engine side or does the boat have to be out of water?

Thanks.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

boat out of water - comes out the back

GLM makes replacement worm shafts and they're only $12 or so

superbenk

Commander

Unfortunately, you'll have to do it with the boat out of the water. You'll need to remove the clutch pack in the tilt housing. There is an endcap holding the wormgear in the tilt housing above the ring gear that surrounds the clutch pack. With the end cap off, you should be able to turn the ring gear by hand to push the wormgear (and shaft) out the opening through the back o the tilt housing. Once you replace the shaft, installation is the reverse. Make sure you replace the gasket on the tilt motor. You'll probably want a new tilt housing seal kit too. OMC says the tilt cclutch housing should be filled with gear oil, but I've read others suggest marine grease because the housing always leaks water. I use grease in mine.

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you I appreciate your help. Now I just have to find a pplace to rent a trailer big enough you hold my boat. Thats the hardest part. Its 28', and I do not know anyone who has one, lol.

LittleKuhnt

Recruit

I replaced the tilt motor on my 77 OMC and the motor seems to be working just fine but it still does not tilt! looked at the clutch and the gears dont seem to be locking in place. Brass gear turns fine on its own the others turn when I lift the motor by hand. If I replace the clip will that help? any other suggestions?

superbenk

Commander

I replaced the tilt motor on my 77 OMC and the motor seems to be working just fine but it still does not tilt! looked at the clutch and the gears dont seem to be locking in place. Brass gear turns fine on its own the others turn when I lift the motor by hand. If I replace the clip will that help? any other suggestions?

If the you can lift the outdrive by hand with the tilt mechanism put together (clutch pack, shaft, ring gear, worm gear), that would suggest your clutch pack is bad or the retaining ring has popped out of the channel it sits in to hold the clutch pack together (tensioned). I've read that you can rebuild the clutch pack and re-lubricate it and if they aren't worn too much it should work again, but I didn't have success with it.

This thread is pretty helpful too:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=259807&highlight=rebuild+omc+tilt+clutch

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anyone know the tilt housing seal kit part number I might need?

Thanks.

superbenk

Commander

Does anyone know the tilt housing seal kit part number I might need?

Thanks.

This kit has all the parts you need, but you don't need all those parts :). If I remember correctly, there's a large o-ring and gasket for the tilt clutch cover, a pair of oil seals for the tilt shaft and maybe a pair of nylon gaskets for the fill & drain plugs.

I'm sure with a little Googling you could find the specific kit for just the tilt.

http://www.iboats.com/Seal-Kit-Sierra/dm/*******.037258673--**********.173066894--view_id.173081

cr2k

Captain

Sierra or NAPA PN 18-2698 1977 and older
18-8360 1978 and later

But looking at the year application they very by engine and years used.

Use these numbers for comparison your mileage may very.