OMC SEA DRIVE-Tilt fluid location-150HP V4 1990

Rjross21

Cadet
Hello all:)

I’m bought a 1990 Larson Center console and am having trouble locating the Power Tilt fluid fill screw.

I’ve looked all over for a week now. Any help pinpointing where the filling location is so greatly appreciated.

I purchased the service manual and it shows a plastic reservoir tank for the fluid, however, the person before the person I bought it from apparently had that hooked up to the oil hookup on the engine….Which is no longer in use now and us premix..So who knows..

The problem is we get very little tilt up and no disk at all. Blessed the lines 4-5 times and then we were able to get up working just fine, but still no down. But it is making a change in noise when it try’s to go down, just no movement.

Thought we’d try to check the fluid first.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_6661.jpeg
    IMG_6661.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6657.jpeg
    IMG_6657.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6655.jpeg
    IMG_6655.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6656.jpeg
    IMG_6656.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6660.jpeg
    IMG_6660.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

Rjross21

Cadet
Hi and thank you for responding Mohawk. So at the other end of that pump is where the fill screw would be located?

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
The motor drives the pump, the pump pushes the hydraulic fluid to the cylinder(s)...the fill screw is on the pump.

Rjross21

Cadet
ok, understood..So it’s only going up a little bit then stops. It’s still making a strong noise like it wants to go up and down, but just stops.

Just bought this boat a couple weeks ago. We need the lines and then it went up really good and down briefly, then all at once stopped again .

Thought we’d check the fluid first

Rjross21

Cadet
ok, understood..So it’s only going up a little bit then stops. It’s still making a strong noise like it wants to go up and down, but just stops.

Just bought this boat a couple weeks ago. We need the lines and then it went up really good and down briefly, then all at once stopped again .

Thought we’d check the fluid first
“Bled the lines”

Rjross21

Cadet
Pretty sure it’s this..

1988 Sea Drive 2.0L -​

20AHRJAS​

First pic is where we thought the fluid might go..It came right back out though, so either it’s full or wrong fill location.

Attachments

• IMG_6591.jpeg
    IMG_6591.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6661.jpeg
    IMG_6661.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3

Rjross21

Cadet
The motor drives the pump, the pump pushes the hydraulic fluid to the cylinder(s)...the fill screw is on the pump.
Hi again. So would it bay fill screw be on the top bottom and side …
Hi again Mohawk..So would that fill screw be on the side or top? Here is a pic …Thank you again and hope the pic helps …

Attachments

• IMG_6719.jpeg
    IMG_6719.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Rjross21

Cadet
Those lines go up and out the topside of the boat. We thought we found the full screw on the right side of the last pic I sent. Fluid def came out but still not sure.

The tilt now seems to go up and down , however, when the tilt goes to just about max up, it doesn’t want to go back down . If you keep it a few clicks under max up, it goes down slow..

Thinking a new pump is needed?

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
If tilt goes up and down, your pump appears to be working.
Try operating pump up and down a few times to bleed any possible air in the cylinder(s).

Rjross21

Cadet
Hi there. We bled the lines a bunch of times and that’s when it starts to work consistently until you go up too far, then it doesn’t want to come down. Then we start all over and release it back down .

I’m still not convinced it’s not low on fluid , but I’m not sure we have the right full screw.

Anything else you can think of to try at this point?

Ready appreciate the help so far!!!

Ryan

Rjross21

Cadet
Here’s what looks like the identical pump on mine…Is the fill screw visible to you in any of these photos?

Thank you again!

Attachments

• IMG_6855.png
    IMG_6855.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6854.png
    IMG_6854.png
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6853.png
    IMG_6853.png
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6852.png
    IMG_6852.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6851.png
    IMG_6851.png
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6850.png
    IMG_6850.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6849.png
    IMG_6849.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 1

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
4th picture in (IMG 6852)...see the flush-mounted, slotted screw?
That's the fill screw.

Rjross21

Cadet
I see it..Ok, so we were hoping it would be empty or close to, but it only took a little bit of fluid…

So are issue continues with the tilt not wanting to go down at all once the engine reaches a certain height.

We are now thinking the pump may be faulty……Thoughts on anything else we can try ?

Greatly appreciate your input!!