OMC Sea Drive Cutting Out - Newbie

Deltaridge

Cadet
Hello Everyone...

ref: 1987 OMC Sea Drive 1.8AHPHD

While on the lake this afternoon, I was running WOT and finally got the boat to plane at 5ooo rpm... I cut back on the throttle and dropped rpms down to 4500. Everything was running fine for about 20 mins, then the motor started to choke... Never lst power.. But it was acting like it was running out of fuel
(3/4 tank). I reduced the rpms... and it kept running just fine. So I pushed on the throttle again... Got on plane... Cut back to 4500 rpms ran fine for another 30 mins, then the same thing again. Loaded it back on the trailer and came home.

What could be some possible problems... I know that this is the shot gun method to isolate a possible problem.

Could it be a fuel filter... I have a inboard fuel tank with a filter in the bilge hole

Or.. I purchased the boat/motor from a guy in south Florida and I live in the Memphis, TN area... Could the carbs need a little adjustment for the change area...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC Sea Drive Cutting Out - Newbie

It may be OMC, but it's an Outboard, not an IO.
Moving to Johnson/Evinrude Outboad forum.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

several things come to mind, clogging pick up in tank, filter, loosing spark on a cylinder (coil heating up and failing) carbs clogging. did the fuel line primer bulb go flat? a sea drive is nothing more than an outboard mount of a strange tilt system.

Deltaridge

Cadet

This what I have been thinking as well... I'm going to start with the simple thing first... change the screw-on fuel filter. The boat has a built in fuel tank so getting to it will be the last thing I check.

Did not have a chance to check the primer bulb... But I guess that would be a good place to look...

When the engine choked, it only lasted a few seconds... First thing I did was look at both temp guages and throttled back and feathered the throttle, fearing the worst at that point. But the engine kept running to get me back to the trailer

Thanks for the reply