OMC Control Cable Up-Grade

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1972 100 HP Johnson that I need to replace the throttle cable on. I notice Teleflex only offers the standard grade cable for the pre 1979 OMC outboards. Due to the way I have to route this cable I would like to get the better grade. How hard is it to modify the box to use the new style cable. Is it possible to just change the arm that the cable end attaches to or does in just need a different pin? The other end looks the same as what I have now? <br />Sorry if this is a dumb question.<br /><br />Thanks In Advance<br /><br />Russ In Texas

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: OMC Control Cable Up-Grade

GOOD question. Glad you asked.<br /><br />You can't convert the control, but you can get adapters for the cable. The low friction cable only comes in the Universal configuration if I'm not mistaken. There are adapters for using them with any brand motor and any brand control. You just need the right adapters. Unfortunately they are kinda klunky and sometimes they don't work so well. For that motor I think they'd do just fine.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You will find that the Johnson-Evinrude factory cables will tolerate bends better and be smoother than the Teleflex and other companies' cables. See a dealer and have him order one for you.

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can convert the control! Took about 30 minutes on a lathe and I made a bushing that fit the arm for the cable and allowed for attaching the new style cable end. After that it was a matter of installing the cable like normal. So I used a "new Style" OMC cable and it works perfect.<br /><br />Russ In Texas