OMC Cobra Transom Thickness

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How thick is the transom on an OMC Cobra? 2&1/8"?

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Cobra Transom Thickness

my transom is 2 1/4'' so i'm sure that your ok. all this stuff is standard
I read your website and kudos to you!

Rob

chiefalen

Captain

Well done, well done. Giving BACK is what we are all about.

Maybe you can post this website at the other forum and they may make a sticky out of it so all can read it and enjoy, and learn from you, for many, many years to come.

Why don't you give it a try by sending a pm to Don s, or T D they are the mods and will decide what to do. Include a link to your website.

Again well done.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Mercruiser specifies 2" to 2, 1/8"....
And,..
They say the late-model OMCs are the same....
So,.. You should be All Set....

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for all the compliments guys. The website has been fun and I've already helped a few people who've contacted me, which was the whole point. It was great hearing from them, and maybe they'll visit the forums when their project gets under way.

My transom is right at 2" so I'm thinking I might add another 1/8". I really don't want to end up bottoming out the shaft in the coupler. The original wood had an extra "spacer" piece of wood to make it thicker, but it was so swollen when I took it all apart it was tough to tell what the original measurement was supposed to be.

Obviously a good conversation for the restoration forum but I couldn't get feedback on this question there (seeing as it was an OMC question more than anything, I suppose).

Thanks for the info. I've got some time to think about it as I'm on to the stringers and battery trays next.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Danond
I have a few photos of my project.
http://picasaweb.google.com/northvanartisan
It shows the new engine stringers,
Used unwaxed fiberglass and coated everything with gelcoat, 6 years later it's still solid.
One thing If you don't mind me suggesting, to make a pattern,
Take strips of wood, say about 1/8''X1'' to form the shape just cut the pieces and glue them together with a hotmelt glue gun this will allow you to make intricate patterns. make sure you brace the corners and you will come up with some detailed patterns!
Take care.
Rob