OMC Cobra Throttle Lever Removal

DailyDriver

Cadet
Made a couple of posts the last few days about the tilt on my boat. Narrowed it down to the thumb operated switch in the throttle control lever. <br /><br />The lever has a rubber covered button in the center of the pivot to push so the lever can be moved for throttling in neutral. The tilt/trim button is integral to the handle, so the handle must be replaced to fix my problem. <br /><br />Question is: How does that lever come off? There are no screws visible on the outside, and the inside is so tight I can't get my hand in there to feel around much. Gotta love the FourWinns folks! Any words of wisdom to remove the handle? I do have the replacement handle, but there are no instructions on how to remove or replace it. Thanks....

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC Cobra Throttle Lever Removal

pull off the rubber boot and use a Phillips to remove the center plastic button piece. Put the shift if full throttle reverse and use a 1/8" allen wrench to loosen the hex screw in the bottom of the handle, which is now facing foreward. All you have to do then is wiggle the lever off the splines.

kimberlydenn

Cadet
Re: OMC Cobra Throttle Lever Removal

pull off the rubber boot and use a Phillips to remove the center plastic button piece. Put the shift if full throttle reverse and use a 1/8" allen wrench to loosen the hex screw in the bottom of the handle, which is now facing foreward. All you have to do then is wiggle the lever off the splines.

Could you please tell me if there are replacement instructions? I removed the handle assembly to put in a different boat (same boat different year, 1989 four winns freedom 190 to 1990 freedom 190) but now when I am putting it back together I am confused. Does it go on horizontally or does it have to be at an angle? Also, should the threaded piece that the handle slides on to have to be in a certain position? All the way to the forward or all the way to the back or in the middle? After installing it the way I assumed was correct, it is very difficult to shift and the handle goes way to far to the left, almost touching the body of the boat. This is our first boat so I know that I am not explaining things correctly. It seemed so easy when my dad took it apart. Also, it is in a different position on the wall, the new boats cut out was further back, could the excess slack in the cable be an issue?