OMC COBRA 4.3. BURNING MY HOSES. GETTING HOT

Bondo

Staff member
HOW CAN I DO A BACK FLUSH... WHERE DO CONNECT THE HOSE TOO?

Ayuh,.... No reason to YELL,....

Hook yer garden hose to the hose comin' from the outdrive, at the T-stat housin', 'n back-flush,...

Pedrocasas

Seaman
thanks buddy... no not screaming... sometimes it makes people look more if its all caps hahaha
they might think its something important lol..

I was going to hook he hose to the right or left side of the Y pipes that connect the manifolds too.

that's not correct way to do it??

are you talking about the hose that comes from the transom into the power steering piece??

Attachments

• image_260475.png
    image_260475.png
    958.4 KB · Views: 0

Pedrocasas

Seaman
No Title

This are the lower parts of the manifolds.
I see 6 holes on the manifolds.
4 screws on the side of the engine where the old manifolds were.

do I just install it with 4 bolts??

or do I need to add screws to the engine?

thank you guys!!!

Attachments

• photo260661.jpg
    photo260661.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260662.jpg
    photo260662.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260663.jpg
    photo260663.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260664.jpg
    photo260664.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260666.jpg
    photo260666.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You want to use all 6. I know they used to have gaskets with only 4 holes but I would definitely do 6. They don't have to be studs either. In fact, you may need to change the studs you have since you are converting from batwings

Pedrocasas

Seaman
Thank you guys.
I will be removing the studs that I have at the moment.
and making it all 6 new ones.

do you guys recommend any specific type of stud?
or where can I get the ones for this marine type of installation

thanks guys

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... As rigid as the manifolds are, ya don't need a stud in every hole,...

Even V8s only use 4 studs,...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
In fact those are plated studs, that are not that cheap to buy. So if those studs will work with the new manifolds, I'd just use then and if you really want to have all 6 fasteners on both sides, just use two of the bolts that came with your new manifolds. You may have to run a thread chaser in the holes in the block for the bolts since due to the age of the engine those threads are probably corroded. I'd spray them with something like Kano Kroil and let it sit for day. and try to use the thread chaser (match it up to the bolts) gently. I think the 4 studs would work fine though, I never had any trouble with the bat wings not sealing over the years. I actually prefer the studs greatly because they do not corrode, the nuts come off very easily and the manifolds will side right off. I think its a better way to attach them except in an installation where there is limited space.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
With the newer manifolds, the parts list calls out 6 bolts per side.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If the OE studs work with the new manifolds (not too short, threads in the right place) then leave them in and just add 2 bolts per side. Just be careful with the threads in the head, that have not had a fastener in them all this time, like I said you may have to clean out those threads with a thread chaser. In salt water its common for the bolts to get rusted in the head, I never had that problem with the studs + nuts