OMC Cleaver Prop

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got my Glasstream bass boat running great with its Johnson 150, I just have a couple of prop questions now to round out a great rig. I have no idea what pitch and diameter my prop is first off, I do know its an old OMC Cleaver but the only numbers I can pull off of it are 01031 and the old OMC logo. I really need some information on this prop before I can begin prop testing. I'm thinking of ridding the cleaver because the hole shot is very VERY poor!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cleaver Prop

I sure wouldn't think a cleaver would be a good choice for that type hull. Every Glasstream we've worked with performed very well, good hull.

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't think that a surface piercing prop wouldn't run to well on this hull, but man is it stable. Where's a good place to start? The boat weighs 1800lbs fully loaded and its powered by a 1979 Johnson 150, also it has a power lift jackplate that has what I believe 6" of adjustability. I just really need a baseline to start so I can fiddle, this is the first time I've tried to prop a motor correctly and just looking for a good starting point. I'm thinking somehwere around 14 1/2 x 25 think she'll turn it?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Which model hull do you have? I would think something like a good Raker or Turbo 1 would be a great starting point. If it's a shorter hull like a 17 you might use something like a Turbo TXP. If it's a longer model and you need bow lift you might look at something like a Turbo Lightning.

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't think I need the bow lift as I have the Hydra-bass 17v '88 model if I'm not mistaken, short at what I belive 17'2" but an 84" beam. 150hp is the max HP but the 79' is rated at powerhead so it's really a 135 give or take. The cleaver was great at WOT but with choppy water, shallow water, etc. just wasn't quite acceptable.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I know that the late 80's early 90 Glasstreams the hull was a copy of the 18 ft Shadows as they (Stream) bought the molds when plant shut down. I think a 24 pitch will be all motor can stand....

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just picked up a Turbo 1 14 1/4 x 24 to see how she handles. I'll post some results as soon as possible it's freezin' in Ohio right now! Oh one more thing, these crossflows like to run in there upper end of the recommended WOT RPM range right?

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got some seat time last week and here's some results. Holeshot with Turbo much better, assuming to the vent holes but was on plane in 4 seconds. Top speed 54 at full trim with just above 22 psi water pressure at 5200 RPM. I do have a jackplate (Super Lift) and its pegged out as high as she'll go, with prop shaft 3" below pad and antivent plate just above waterline on plane. I did get a 14 1/4 x 21 pitch Michigan Wheel standard aluminum to try out, but how does the assembly go on? I have a spacer before prop goes on then a spacer after then prop nut. The test prop doesn't fit well with the spacers on but off it makes an awful grinding noise when spun without the spacers, making me think its not going to fit. The hub comes all the way out to the end of the splines where as the other HP props didn't. I just don't want to screw things up on a new to me motor.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Told you the Turbo had good bite! Anyway, can the motor go any higher on the plate? I know you said the plate is all the way up but can the motor go any higher?

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't believe it can go any higher, I'd have to check on that one I guess I just assumed it was all the way up. I think some more testing is in order though, I just got some numbers between fishing holes. I'd like to try a 22 pitch Raker if I could get ahold of one, but I'm limited at what I can get. Think that aluminum 21 pitch isn't even worth trying?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Everything is worth trying but at that height I wouldn't have very high expectations for an aluminum prop. As for the Turbo I'd try to go higher to gain rpm rather than go down in pitch. You may still have to go to less pitch but I'd get all I could with what I had first. A 24 is probably a lot for that combo but like you said - testing will tell.

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

My lucky day not only did I find out I can raise the motor a couple of holes but I also stumbled upon a 22 pitch Raker for $75. I'm pretty sure one of the two will work great with my rig combo. If anything I can use the the lower pitch for heavy loads when fishing with a tournament load. Soon as I can I'll post some results.

torbjorn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We preferred Mercury cleavers, choppers, with OMC motors on pad V-bottoms in racing. Am not
familiar with a Glasstream boat.

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got out today did some runs at the the end of the day when the water calmed down and got some numbers, weren't to my liking. I haven't got my 22 pitch original Raker in the mail yet so I just ran the 24 Turbo, and only got 4500 RPMs at full throttle and full tilt. I can come up three holes on my jackplate so I'm going to do that tomorrow if time allows as right now I belive I'm extremely low. I just measured my centerline of the bullet to the pad and it was a good 5 inches below. If I come up 3 holes is that going to give me some RPM or just speed because of reduced LU drag? I'm thinking I may have to drop down to a 20 pitch, but more testing is needed.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like what I said earlier is pretty much falling in line - the agressive Turbo may be a bit much pitch in this case but as you say, testing will tell. If you can get 100% trim without venting that's just another indicator the motor is too low (for this prop). We're looking to gain at least 1000 rpm so we may indeed be looking at less pitch but since you have the Turbo go ahead and try everything you can. The higher X dimension will give you less drag which will be higher rpm which will be higher speed.

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

Raker just came in if I get off work in time I will post some results after new prop and raising motor

NHGuy

Captain

You're in Ohio? Are you runnin that rig between icebergs?

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope, Ohio River. Water temp right now is about 40 degrees but we've had some days in the 60's and 70's which allowed me to get out and fish and run the boat some. I'm hoping to have everything ready to go by the warm up so I don't waste time dialing in my setup when I should be fishin'. There still has been some really cold runs in between though!