OMC Amplifier

gwsorge

Recruit
My 1970 60 hp engine has no spark. Using the service manual troubleshooting I found I have a faulty amplifier. It has 90 ma current with the key on, not cranking or running. Manual says it should be 200 ma. I have 12 Volts to the amplifier. I've gotten one "new" amplifier through Ebay, and one "used". All three act the same. With the key on and not cranking or running the amplifier makes a ticking sound. Measuring the output lead that goes under the flywheel, I have 5 VDC, and 10 VAC measured from a typical multimeter. I believe I should measure around 200 VDC in this condition. Is it possible the amplifier is good and my troubleshooting technique is bad. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC Amplifier

Disconnect the wire from the pack to the points. Disconnect the coil wire from coil to distributor cap. With the key on, scatch the lead from the pack going to the point's to ground. Every time you touch the point wire to ground the coil should fire. This is a battery CD ignition. There are several item's that will shut it down.

gwsorge

Recruit
Re: OMC Amplifier

Disconnect the wire from the pack to the points. Disconnect the coil wire from coil to distributor cap. With the key on, scatch the lead from the pack going to the point's to ground. Every time you touch the point wire to ground the coil should fire. This is a battery CD ignition. There are several item's that will shut it down.

Do I need to connect the coil wire that is removed from the distributor cap to a spark plug or place it close to a ground? Otherwise how do I know the coil fires?