OMC 800 steering problem

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took our 78 OMC 800 into the shop to have the impeller replaced. Now it turns to the left all the way to the bumper but only halfway to the bumper when turning right. <br /><br />How difficult would it be for me to adjust the steering myself (I hate to take it back to the shop and have it gone for another week)?<br /><br />I have the shop manual for the boat but it does not address the steering.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC 800 steering problem

I hope the shop did a better job replacing your impeller than they did hanging your outdrive back on. You will have to remove the outdrive to recenter the steering. I presume you have tru-course steering.<br /><br />Remove the outdrive. Center the wheel, using the indicator arrow at the base of the steering wheel. Mark the gear tooth (sharpie) at the 12 oclock position. Now turn the wheel left, counting the 1/2 turns. Turn it right, double the number. It should go twice the number to stop. If not, you will have to average it to find the center tooth. You could end up with your indicator out of position when the outdrive is centered. I'd have to consult the manual to know how to correct that. They probably installed your out drive, **** over at some angle or they didn't straighten it before they revmoved it.

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I was kind of afraid that was the answer.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Boomyal,A very good answer.When I read it,I thought major problem,but you jump started my brain.Reference..... yes,pull the drive,but only far enough to disengage the steering gear.I don't think you need to disconnect the shift cable to do this.We are only talking 1/2 inch.<br />DHP

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by DHPMARINE:<br /> Boomyal,A very good answer.When I read it,I thought major problem,but you jump started my brain.Reference..... yes,pull the drive,but only far enough to disengage the steering gear.I don't think you need to disconnect the shift cable to do this.We are only talking 1/2 inch.<br />DHP
That is correct, DH. Prop the outdrive up on something and have someone hold it while you do the adjustment.

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for all the help. Took it back to the shop today and luckily they fixed it within a couple of hours.