OMC 5.0L Ford '93 Fuel pump replacement compatibility

Jono69

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, after a long weekend on the Mighty Miss, it appears as though my fuel pump diaphragm has given out. I made it back successfully (Thank God!!). I have a '93 OMC Cobra 5.0L HO motor carbureted (Model# 502APRJVB), mechanical fuel pump. Now my question: As I am naturally having a hard time finding a replacement, is it possible and/or wise to find a Ford auto replacement fuel pump for this or do I have to go with the marine equivalent?
Thank you as always guys.
Jon

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC 5.0L Ford '93 Fuel pump replacement compatibility

Well, after a long weekend on the Mighty Miss, it appears as though my fuel pump diaphragm has given out. I made it back successfully (Thank God!!). I have a '93 OMC Cobra 5.0L HO motor carbureted (Model# 502APRJVB), mechanical fuel pump. Now my question: As I am naturally having a hard time finding a replacement, is it possible and/or wise to find a Ford auto replacement fuel pump for this or do I have to go with the marine equivalent?
Jon

Ayuh,... DON'T use an automotive mechanical fuel pump...

I believe iboats has the sierra fuel pump ya need...

If by chance the pump is irreplaceable, go electric, properly wired through an o/p switch..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Like most of the marine parts for Fords, they just aren't available anymore, or really hard to find. The aftermarket companies don't even have their brand marine pump.

Best thing you could do is go to the Marine electric fuel pump and the oil pressure switch wired in.

Jono69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for the quick response Bond-o! I have searched the iboats store for the correct one and can't seem to find a compatible replacement. The OMC part# is 0987024 and can't find one on there that matches that number. There is one on here that is for the Ford 302 motors but different number. I don't know if that is compatible or not. The electric route did cross my mind. Would I just look for a 5.0 electric (marine) fuel pump then? And I am not sure what an o/p switch is? How difficult of a swap would that be? And what would be the best way to plug the hole where the old pump went? Sorry for the endless questions :)

Bondo

Staff member

Thank you for the quick response Bond-o! I have searched the iboats store for the correct one and can't seem to find a compatible replacement. The OMC part# is 0987024 and can't find one on there that matches that number. There is one on here that is for the Ford 302 motors but different number. I don't know if that is compatible or not. The electric route did cross my mind. Would I just look for a 5.0 electric (marine) fuel pump then? And I am not sure what an o/p switch is? How difficult of a swap would that be? And what would be the best way to plug the hole where the old pump went? Sorry for the endless questions :)

Ayuh,.... 'n I can't see yer's.... post a picture showin' the clocking of the fittings, 'n the actuator arm...

For an Electric, you'd look for 1 for a Carbed motor...

The O/P switch is to stop the pump, when the motor ain't runnin',... a safety feature...

The old pump would stay to cover the hole in the block,...

'n as far as Difficulty,..??

I guess it just depends on how Handy ya are, 'n how Big yer toolbox is...

Don S

Like I said, aftermarket manufacturers (Sierra, Moller, Mallory, etc.) do not make a replacement for that pump, so iboats doesn't have it.

Jono69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking more into it, the electric route will be the way to go. And it is in the realm of my abilities and tool box contents. Should be fairly straight forward. Now, my last questions, for now anyways: Is there a certain psi rating I should be looking for this motor and if so, what would be the best way to find that out? Any specific part recommendations for replacement?

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

o/p switch is the oil pressure switch.

Bondo

Staff member

Like I said, aftermarket manufacturers (Sierra, Moller, Mallory, etc.) do not make a replacement for that pump, so iboats doesn't have it.

Sorry Don,.. I was clickin' the last post button, 'n Never saw yer post....

Bondo

Staff member

Looking more into it, the electric route will be the way to go. And it is in the realm of my abilities and tool box contents. Should be fairly straight forward. Now, my last questions, for now anyways: Is there a certain psi rating I should be looking for this motor and if so, what would be the best way to find that out? Any specific part recommendations for replacement?

Ayuh,... ALL Carbed motors run 5 psi....

Jono69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you guys for the help. I have sourced all of the parts I believe. Found some good write-ups on the changeover. I will post my results in the coming days. And Don, I know these OMC things are becoming a pain in the rear. But playing the cards I was dealt for now.
Take care fellas!

Don S

It's not just an OMC problem, Volvo used them too during the mid 90's when they were in the joint venture with Volvo. But Ford itself got out of the marine side of their business, even the aftermarket gang gave them up after that.

Jono69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's not just an OMC problem, Volvo used them too during the mid 90's when they were in the joint venture with Volvo. But Ford itself got out of the marine side of their business, even the aftermarket gang gave them up after that.
I know Don. I was more referring to the lack of part availability these days for these OMC machines.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jon

I had this exact problem with my 1992 OMC 5.0L H.O. fuel pump. Instead of paying outrageously inflated prices for a brand new pump, why not just rebuild your original Carter/OMC pump? I found a company that sells just the internal diaphrams and check valves for around $50 per kit. It's called Then and Now Auto. It really wasn't very difficult to do, and it only requires basic hand tools. Probably took me less than an hour. Works great!

I bought two kits just in case my fuel pump ever decides to quit again.

http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm

And just like Bond-o stated, don't try and install an automotive style pump. It doesn't have the vent tube port that routes up to the carb like yours does.