Omc 5.0 revs before fully engaging into gear

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys I have a omc 5.0 litre inboard. The shifting seems out of whack. I’m trying to get my idle right down to ensure a nice shift into fwd or reverse. For the most part fwd gear is a smooth transition. As for going into reverse not so much. The revs come up before the the reverse is in gear and the chattering is bad. Does anybody have any advice for the omc setup specifically. I recently had my lower end off and I had the tool to center the shifter on the lower end but something up the line seems out. Any advise or proper literature on setting this up would be greatly appreciated.

Ferson206

Cadet
Have you tried using a throttle spring to slow the idle? I was having a related problem with idle speed shorting up in neutral, and the spring solved it. A friend suggested this and hooked the spring from the throttle arm on the carb to the edge of front of engine. That worked but didn’t stay on well. I just replaced it with a spring that runs through a small drilled hole in throttle arm to a bolt on top of manifold. Cheap and easy solution.