OMC 400 tilt mechanism

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman
As I read my manual, the tilt clutch housing is supposed to hold 15-18 lbs pressure. Mine doesn't, and I can't seem to find any leaks. I replaced the o ring on the cover as well as the gasket, but haven't gone any further yet. Soapy water reveals no leaks at the clutch cover nor the shaft seals. Likewise, no leak is evident at the worm gear shaft retainer. Are there seals at the motor end of the worm gear that I should be looking at? I don't see any seals indicated in my manual.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: OMC 400 tilt mechanism

It's not sealed on the motor end. More of a bushing. If you resealed the gear shaft and the cover, and new gaskets on the fill and drain screws, your good to go.

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. Personally, I could see no point in a completely sealed unit since there doesn't seem to be much chance of gear oil leaking out the motor end anyhow, but I was puzzled by the following quote from the OMC (not seloc) manual. "The tilt clutch cavity must not leak under 16-18 psi using Stevens leakage tester". Any idea what they are referring to?

whywhyzed

Banned

One of those deals where the guys who wrote the procedure never really thought it through. They obviously never tried it either...

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Was it getting water inside before you resealed it?
I would have replaced both seals behind the small gear as well.
As long as no water gets in the motor oil I would not worry.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The weight of the outdrive, on the tilt gear shaft, tends to elongate the shaft opening in the clutch box. When the double seals get worn and hardened, this allows water into the clutch box. When this happens, the only place for the water and oil to go is up and out thru the motor drive shaft and into the tilt motor.

So, drain it and refill it a couple of times during the season to check for any water intrusion.