OMC 3.0 cutting out

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman
I have a 1986 OMC 3.0 which has begun cutting out at high RPM and am looking for some advice. The engine runs fine at low RPM, but as I approach planing speed, it faulters as if it were out of gas. I have gone through the fuel system and found a few minor things I didn't like and fixed them, but the problem remains. I have essentially ruled out a fuel problem at this point. I had the outdrive off the boat this winter for some repairs and when I put it back on, I readjusted the interrupter and overstroke switches as required. I am beginning to wonder if I have them adjusted correctly. The engine acts like the esa is engaging at high RPM as it looses almost all power. By backing off the throttle, it will resume normal operation until I bring it back to about 3000 RPM at which time it will cut out again. Is it possible that a misadjusted interrupter or overstroke will cause this to occur? I would like to rule this out before I go back through the fuel system again. Thanks for any help you can provide.

xltier

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC 3.0 cutting out

try running it unplugged and see if it runs o.k

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman

Unplugged it runs fine. Looks like I need to adjust the switches again.

Thanks.

JRM

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have an oem manual that explains how to adjust it properly?