Omc 3.0 abrupt stop!!

Zacharay55

Cadet
I recently traded my bass tracker for a 1989 stratos with a 3.0 OMC in it. Ran great, no problems good oil pressure and temp stayed between right above 120 runnin it in the hose. Took it out for the first time today on the water, ran around for about an hour and was great. Good oil pressure, good temp, everything was working great. Like an idiot I wasn't monitoring the water temp gauge for about 5-10 min (maybe more) maybe less, and I was turning to head back to the dock and all of a sudden, heard a clank or somethin and engine just stopped!!! Tried turning it over and the starter engages and hits flywheel and doesn't turn over. Temp was a little above 180 at this point. Opened the compartment , wasn't smoking or anything abnormal. Got a tow in and loaded up and drug the boat and myself home in dismay. As I waited on a tow the temp was dropping and tried turnin it over and still same thing. Nothing. Now, the fun begins. Where do yall suggest I start? Do you think a valve dropped down in the cylinder and bent? Do you think a ride broke? If the rod broke I would think it woulda thrown through the wall of the engine but not sure since its cast iron. Hydrolock? I'm not sure what happened but I don't know where I should start, aside from pulling it out and tearing it down.. Maybe someone has had this happen and was able to pull head off and fix whatever it was. I'm in aircraft mechanic school and just recently rebuilt a 4cylinder HO engine in class, but not sure where to start in on this one. Haven't checked the oil to see if it's milky or for shavings yet. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I just wanna get back on the water ASAP and have a piece of mind. Thanks - Zach

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... 'n pull the drive, it coulda seized, it turns with the crank shaft,....

Zacharay55

Cadet
By pull the drive , you mean pull the while foot n all that off? And if it was the drive , then would the engine be able to turn over when it's in neutral? And I thought it may be the drive cause when I try to turn it over(in neutral) the foot will turn to the right ...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Pull the six nuts, 'n the entire drive off,...

The upper gear set, turns With the crank shaft, shiftin' is done much lower,...

Zacharay55

Cadet
Okay I will do that this afternoon. What all do I need to pull off to get to it? Everything?

Zacharay55

Cadet
Alright guys. I pulled the foot off now the engine turnes over, I guess somethin in the foot is locked up?!? What do I do now?

Bondo

Staff member
Alright guys. I pulled the foot off now the engine turnes over, I guess somethin in the foot is locked up?!? What do I do now?

Ayuh,.... Drain the oil out of it, 'n see how much grounded up metal comes out,...

Zacharay55

Cadet
Not any ground up metal came out.. And none was on the magnetic drain plugs either.. It sounds like it's somethin binding up higher then the lower unit.. I'm sure I need to split them now ?